04 Tahoe high oil pressure when accelerating and noticable loss of power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey my Tahoes oil pressure goes into 80s when I give it gas. There's a noticeable loss of power also. The oil looks good maybe a little bit too much also the gears kind of start slipping or not catching on right away it feels. But can't even drive it right now because I don't want to blow the damn thing. Any clues let me know please I appreciate it

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what rpm is it in the 80s? My Silverado and tahoe get above 60 when i let it wind out to 5500.
And if it feels like the transmission is slipping, that can make it feel down on power.

OP
OP
Ben Solo

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At what rpm is it in the 80s? My Silverado and tahoe get above 60 when i let it wind out to 5500.
And if it feels like the transmission is slipping, that can make it feel down on power.
It pretty much goes with the rpm. Like, not even flooring it barely flutter n it goes up. And I takes a minute for the thing to grip n go.
Started it today and the oil pressure was at like 65-70ish right at the start. But after a few minutes, it would level out to 60...until I give it some throttle. Sux bro. I'm not gonna start tearing **** out unless I know for sure or at least understand it. Damn sux

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe was stuck at 70-80 psi on the gauge. I put a new pressure switch on the back of the engine and its back to normal. As for the transmission not grabbing right away, that's a different issue. Is the transmission low on fluid?

NardDog

Reaction score
Internal engine pressures are critical. Some places to look are. 1 easiest place to look is the oil pump pick up tube o ring. 2 rear “barbell” when installed and working properly keeps oil from bypassing the filter. 3 oil plugs . 4 cam retainer plate has an oil gasket. The plate, plugs and barbell are behind the front and rear covers. They work together to keep oil pressure normal . The pick up tube is obviously on the bottom end.

OP
OP
Ben Solo

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My tahoe was stuck at 70-80 psi on the gauge. I put a new pressure switch on the back of the engine and its back to normal. As for the transmission not grabbing right away, that's a different issue. Is the transmission low on fluid?
It was a little low but not too much. You think that tranny fluid level effects the motor oil pressure? I'm pretty sure it's not just the sensor cuz it's running kinda crappy. It feels like I'm pulling a load that's too heavy, when Im not pulling anything. U know?

OP
OP
Ben Solo

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah. I've got o2 sensor malfunction but that wouldn't make it do what it's doing tho.... right...
I put more tranny fluid in and got my reverse working and it goes except seems like 3rd or 2nd and 3rd tend to catch late and when they don't catch on I've noticed the oil pressure gauge also goes high. I just need a new tranny huh??
Does anyone know how much tranny fluid has been lost when it start losing reverse and what not?
Saw that they use 11.2 quarts!!!???
I believe I'm paying for not keeping up with transmission maintenance

rayra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seconding Mudspoirt's comment.
Bad oil sender / pressure switch. As long as you are running the proper oil. At this point in its lifecycle your 2004 ought to be lucky to make 25psi at speed.

Trans slipping has nothing to do with engine oil pressure. Get some 'high mileage' trans fluid in there, or add a friction modifier.

OP
OP
Ben Solo

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seconding Mudspoirt's comment.
Bad oil sender / pressure switch. As long as you are running the proper oil. At this point in its lifecycle your 2004 ought to be lucky to make 25psi at speed.

Trans slipping has nothing to do with engine oil pressure. Get some 'high mileage' trans fluid in there, or add a friction modifier.
Yeah. Figured tranny wasn't really messing with the engine oil pressure. But now my front diff is howling and screeching and grinding. So I was gonna put diff from my Yukon in the tahoe. And I'mma end up putting the yukon motor n tranny into the tahoe. Oh boy, not looking forward to it, tho.
Any tips or suggestions on removal or installation will b very appreciated. !!