04 Tahoe engine replacement, L33 or LQ4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's hear opinions, past experiences -BTDT, or other information on engine replacement for a high mileage Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon with a standard 5.3 LM7/L59

L33 = 5.3HO (all aluminum) from 05-07 1500 4wd truck
LQ4 - 6.0std from Denali, 2500HD etc

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would always reach out to Jasper Engines. I have used them many times over the years with no problems. Any engines they rebuild always get top quality components and if there are any recall or TSB improvements that are needed, they do it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either one would be an upgrade on some level. Out of those two, the L33 would likely be the most expensive since it's not as common and an aluminum block. It's power gain over the LM7 would be minimal as well. Since it's more common than the L33, the LQ4 would likely be cheaper. It would also be the better dollar-per-power gain since it'll have more HP and TQ than the L33.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9 out of 10 times, displacement wins. However, I do not know enough about the L33's performance to compare it to the 6.0.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my LQ4 is an awesome engine. I have no experience with the L33 although I think any weight savings won’t matter much in a heavy SUV.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I need to know more about where you are going to source your engine and what your goals ultimately are as far as intentions with the vehicle. Im assuming you would be getting a used instead of reman L33 since you listed the specific year and model engine would come from. Finding a 2004-07 engine with low enough mileage to even mess with is going to be hard and will only get harder as each week passes. Putting in a 6.0L when vehicle was originally equipped with a 5.3L (Im assuming) can get pretty expensive with all the items that will need changed out for compatibility.

Honestly if it were me and you intend on keeping the vehicle for some time I would just get whatever came factory in the suv and get a reman engine to stick in there and easily doable over a weekend.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I need to know more about where you are going to source your engine and what your goals ultimately are as far as intentions with the vehicle. Im assuming you would be getting a used instead of reman L33 since you listed the specific year and model engine would come from. Finding a 2004-07 engine with low enough mileage to even mess with is going to be hard and will only get harder as each week passes. Putting in a 6.0L when vehicle was originally equipped with a 5.3L (Im assuming) can get pretty expensive with all the items that will need changed out for compatibility.

Honestly if it were me and you intend on keeping the vehicle for some time I would just get whatever came factory in the suv and get a reman engine to stick in there and easily doable over a weekend.
Pretty much everything from the 5.3 can go right on the 6.0 excluding the ECM. It’s a fairly easy swap.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the opinions and experiences here. I lean towards the 6.0 but have located an affordable L33 5.3ho. I know there is no replacement for displacement.

There are things about the 5.3 that have appeal. It's flat top piston, good heads, unique cam make it an interesting bird to say the least. Is there anyone out here that has swapped in an L33 already?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17