03 Tahoe w/ Bose - Aftermarket head unit help (radio stays on)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I have an 03 z71 tahoe w/ bose system, no on star, no steering wheel controls.
(UQ7 w/o Y91 I believe denotes that)

8 years ago I had a pioneer head unit installed with an Axxess module (GMOS-04) to retain door chimes and what not.

It has functioned properly for 8 years. Until now - when I take the key out of the ignition, and open my door, my head unit remains on.
I pulled the radio fuse from my engine compartment, and have been driving for a while without a radio. Every now and then I would put the fuse back in and see what would happen. My dash cluster would say Unknown Driver, and sometimes my car would turn over then immidiately shut off. So I pull the fuse back out, and my truck functions normal again.

I really want my audio back, and I am doing it all and doing it right.

So I am replacing everything in the audio system.
I have a new pioneer head unit to install. I removed the factory bose sub & amp, and all speakers.
I have a new 5-channel amp, I installed and rewired all new speakers and will soon install one 8" sub if I can fit it in the center console.

I figured my constant power problem was with my head unit. I wire up the new head unit. I plugged it in while my car was off and key was out. It turns on. So the switch power is always hot??

My wiring is correct, the wires even have little labels on them, and they also match an install wiring diagram.

Could it be my door switch? I don't think so because when I open my doors my cabin lights are triggered like normal, and I get an indication in the cluster when I open my driver door while in Drive.

What could have changed that suddenly my head unit is always powered?
Any help is appreciated - I am mentally stuck here.

Last edited:

Jwedge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same truck only 2wd, there is a factory 6" sub under the console now. I added an 8" sub in a modified factory sub in the rear and it sounds great. I use a Pioneer XAV-V10T I bought a couple of years ago. I would call Axxess tech they have always been great when I had a question 800-253-8324. Unless you have changed something I think your Axxess module has died. There are two Bose systems for that year Bose and Bose Premium. The regular Bose is analog input, as mine is . I am driving the factory amp off the speaker outputs of the head unit then off the sub line level a Rockford mono sub amp driving the rear 8" sub. Gives a great sound and is very understated.
I have upgraded the steering wheel to a "new old stock" OEM Grant that was in the trucks with the controls, along with the harness and clock spring. I am waiting on the SWC-1 control to finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh