02 Yukon 4200 with Low Oil at Idle, (STOP ENGINE) just after my Check Engine lite came on.. help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02YUKaczON100k24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got an issue, where all's good (45lbs Oil PSI) then, at a Light it reads "0" Dash Light says "CHECK GUAGES" & "STOP ENGINE", but when I take off, and/or give it gas, it goes back up to the Norm (45psi), and "Check Guages" light goes Off, but my "CHECK ENGINE" light stayed on.. Lost as to what it is..?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

The title of the thread is a bit confusing but the explanation helps. You may have in fact lost oil pressure at idle and is ok at higher rpm. Not likely, but maybe. Need to do a mechanical gauge reading on it. Likely a failing oil pressure sender. Have inspected asap at a shop. Does the engine rattle when pressure is low?

OP
OP

02YUKaczON100k24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, Yeah, they only "gave me so many words" for the Title.. Thanks for the 'Reading-of'
No Rattling on the motor at low idle, just the Warning "LOW PSI & to Shut Off". It Picks right back up when I give it gas.. The "OIL CHANGE" is at 10% to go before changing... could That have something to do with It? I will put in a FULL SYNTHETIC Oil ( Type??) this time around, (as it sits for weeks at a time, sometimes longer nowadays..) in 'er, what do Ya think about doing that, too>?
Respect to Vets!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You could have an oil filter that is bypassing internally, but again, I doubt it. Change the oil and use a quality filter, like an AC Delco or a Wix filter. I still think, because there is no rattling, that the oil sender is failing. You may also have an oil pickup screen o-ring that is not sealing. Pull to a downhill incline, fairly steep, and let the engine idle and see if the oil pressure at idle comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dimi3

Latest posts