02 Tahoe with 2/3 drop and ZW7 Premium Ride Suspension ????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emilime75

Reaction score
Hold up, you said this:

...It dropped it an in inch in the shop but after I drove it home it was back up an inch where it was before I pulled the spacer out. I have already tried running the Belltech shocks and it dropped it way too much with the spacer in there...

Are you sure you don't have the self leveling option? I believe it was available, as an option, on the ZW7 suspension and came part of Autoride. If it dropped a certain amount but then went back up after driving it, then it's filling up and raising the rear. The same thing happened to me when I first lowered it(I have Autoride). I installed the springs, it dropped quite a bit, then I started the engine and the back end lifted back up to stock height. Look for sensors and small rods connected to the upper trailing arm. It will look like this...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/xxjxaxyxx/IMG_0507.jpg

Some lowering kits sold for Autoride equipped trucks will come with shorter sensor rods or instructions on how to bend or shorten them to accomodate the lower ride height. But, if you ordered a kit for non Autoride then it's likely it didn't come with them because the self leveling option is really, really rare unless it came with Autoride. If your truck has Autoride, or ZW7 along with the Self Leveling Option, everything you're finding while trying to lower it is making sense.

Most likely, your fix is going to be to leave the spacer out, use your original shocks and shorten the sensor rods on both sides.

emilime75

Reaction score
Well, there's your answer. The shocks are filling up and raising the rear. Remove the spring spacer, reinstall your Nivomat shocks and then shorten your sensor rods until you've achieved the desired ride height.

To shorten your sensor rods, remove them from the truck, pull the ball caps straight off and take 1 to the hardware store. Find the the appropriate sized threaded rod or a long enough bolt (you'll cut the head off later). You'll thread the ball caps onto the threaded rod. You can make adjustments to the length until you get it where you want it.

OP
OP
BADRIDES

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Glove box shows RPO code ZW7 so I have no sensor rods.

Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self contained, self leveling Nivomat shock in the rear. ZW7 equipped trucks come with a softer spring in the rear since the Nivomat self leveling system does some of the work or holding the truck up. Replacing a ZW7 Nivomat unit with a standard shock requires also replacing the spring. Otherwise the truck will sag in the rear and have a much harsher ride and potentially dangerous handling.

Autoride: indicated by the RPO code Z55. This suspension system uses electronic shocks in the front that automatically adjusts to road conditions, becoming stiffer or softer as necessary. The rear will use an electronically controlled self leveling air shock that is monitored by ride height sensors and inflated remotely from an on-board air compressor.

Last edited:

emilime75

Reaction score
Wow, I just read the link you posted, what a goofy setup. Never realized that's how the ZW7 shocks worked.

deepend

Reaction score
My Glove box shows RPO code ZW7 so I have no sensor rods.

Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self contained, self leveling Nivomat shock in the rear. ZW7 equipped trucks come with a softer spring in the rear since the Nivomat self leveling system does some of the work or holding the truck up. Replacing a ZW7 Nivomat unit with a standard shock requires also replacing the spring. Otherwise the truck will sag in the rear and have a much harsher ride and potentially dangerous handling.

Autoride: indicated by the RPO code Z55. This suspension system uses electronic shocks in the front that automatically adjusts to road conditions, becoming stiffer or softer as necessary. The rear will use an electronically controlled self leveling air shock that is monitored by ride height sensors and inflated remotely from an on-board air compressor.
Dude pls listen. You need to put the shocks from tony and do the free travel mod.....trust me ive done it to mines. Nivomat shocks will raise your truck and wont work properly with belltech springs. They are designed to work in conjunction with factory springs. I also had the zw7 setup. Put tonys shocks on and pick out a spacer height you want and DO THE FREE MOD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia