'02 Tahoe radio recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well I got the Tahoe, and ran into an issue with the radio. I was looking at it on the way home and realized, "that's a lot smaller than the '05 Tahoe slot...."
So I researched and learned it is a din-and-half.
Apparently a double will fit, but with a lot more work than I really want to put into it. (New dash panel, cutting a bunch of crap out of the dash, modifying brackets, ect)
So I guess Im just here to re-ask the same question, except for in a Din-and-half.
Volume knob, Bluetooth, backup camera capable, except in a Din-and-half recommendations??
You can change the cage the radio goes in to a double din(03-06)and buy the same years bezel/faceplate. Only thing I'm not sure about is the hvac controls. Iirc, those can be lowered if needed.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to look at a 2002 Tahoe Z71 Thursday, might pick it up if it checks out.
Has the old original radio they had in the 90's and start of 2000's.
Was looking for a radio to put in that has Bluetooth and a backup camera screen.
One thing I must have is the volume knob, not buttons. (My current 05 Tahoe has volume buttons and I hate it) need to turn down volume?
Click click click click click click click click click click click
Stupid. Lol
Looking online I see a number of options and brands ranging from 60 bucks to 800 bucks.
I would probably be willing to spend a couple hundred, but that's about it.

Is there anyone here that knows more about these radios and which ones are the best options for that price range? Also ease of installation is somewhat important, it doesn't have to be completely plug and and play, I can do some splicing or adding a plug, but I don't want to have to rewire everything behind the dash to make one work.
Recommendations? Thanks
I like Kenwood. Make sure you get a version with wireless Apple CarPlay.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do the double din conversion, it’s easy and you end up with a way bigger screen and more radio options. No matter what head unit you end up with, the harness and steering wheel control interface cost a hundred alone iirc. I did a DD conversion, it was worth it.

Pops946

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going to look at a 2002 Tahoe Z71 Thursday, might pick it up if it checks out.
Has the old original radio they had in the 90's and start of 2000's.
Was looking for a radio to put in that has Bluetooth and a backup camera screen.
One thing I must have is the volume knob, not buttons. (My current 05 Tahoe has volume buttons and I hate it) need to turn down volume?
Click click click click click click click click click click click
Stupid. Lol
Looking online I see a number of options and brands ranging from 60 bucks to 800 bucks.
I would probably be willing to spend a couple hundred, but that's about it.

Is there anyone here that knows more about these radios and which ones are the best options for that price range? Also ease of installation is somewhat important, it doesn't have to be completely plug and and play, I can do some splicing or adding a plug, but I don't want to have to rewire everything behind the dash to make one work.
Recommendations? Thanks
Lots of good suggestions here. You sound like an experienced Tahoe guy, but remember on these there’s a factory amp behind the glovebox. It has a filter that cuts all the bass from the door and pillar speakers. Bass goes to the sub in the left rear enclosure only. Years ago there was a post with a plug wiring diagram to bypass the amp and have the head unit drive the door speakers. I got some replacement speakers from Crutchfield, bypassed the amp, and had a much better sounding setup. Certainly not a premium system, but a lot better than the stock setup.

Pops946

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here. You sound like an experienced Tahoe guy, but remember on these there’s a factory amp behind the glovebox. It has a filter that cuts all the bass from the door and pillar speakers. Bass goes to the sub in the left rear enclosure only. Years ago there was a post with a plug wiring diagram to bypass the amp and have the head unit drive the door speakers. I got some replacement speakers from Crutchfield, bypassed the amp, and had a much better sounding setup. Certainly not a premium system, but a lot better than the stock setup.
Congrats on the 02, by the way. Recently got my wife a 23, but a grandson has the 02. He’s an 05, so the Tahoe is 3 years older than he is. He loves it, as did we.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any new head unit you add is going to need a Pac-audio or axxess module, there are a few other companies. You can buy one that does all, but without it you will lose the door chimes (if you really want those), you will lose steering wheel controls (if you have those), or if it has the media center screens. The module converts the 20 year old analog signal to a current technology digital signal the head unit can understand. If you want that, it's $100-$200 for which one you want.

If you want a backup camera, and want a double din, you can convert it. Here's the sticky at the top of the forum, Double Din
You can easily pull the parts at the yard if you're up for it. For another $150, there is an aftermarket bezel that will make it look perfect after you paint it. You can do the budget bezel mod, (that worked for most people for 15 years). The parts needed to swap to double din are pretty easy to find at any pick n pull yard if you are up for it.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
I think I'll go ahead and do the DD then, sounds like it's worth the effort. I don't have controls on the wheel, So that might simplify my install a little bit.
Definitely going with backup camera.
I guess I'll have to see how it sounds afterwards to know whether I want to upgrade more.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll go ahead and do the DD then, sounds like it's worth the effort. I don't have controls on the wheel, So that might simplify my install a little bit.
Definitely going with backup camera.
I guess I'll have to see how it sounds afterwards to know whether I want to upgrade more.
You won’t be sorry, there’s so many options for a great head unit. I’ve always had good luck with Pioneer. I opted to go with one that has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto so I don’t have to take my phone out of my pocket but the models that have the wireless are their more expensive models. So many choices. The touch screens are nice too.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a BOSS Audio BE62CP: Apple Carplay, BT, Backup camera, and the volume knob you're wanting. They're on sale for around $170 on Crutchfield right now. I liked mine so much I just got one for my daughter for Xmas for her car. They can also provide the Metra dash kit that will come with a new dash bezel for DD conversion and for $25 they will splice all of your wiring for you so it will be plug-n-play. Best deal out there IMO

Carplay.jpg

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
I got a BOSS Audio BE62CP: Apple Carplay, BT, Backup camera, and the volume knob you're wanting. They're on sale for around $170 on Crutchfield right now. I liked mine so much I just got one for my daughter for Xmas for her car. They can also provide the Metra dash kit that will come with a new dash bezel for DD conversion and for $25 they will splice all of your wiring for you so it will be plug-n-play. Best deal out there IMO

View attachment 415753
Nice, does it dim pretty well at night also?
Do you have a link from the place that you ordered from that does your splicing and plugs for you when they send it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo