'02 Tahoe fuel odor & P0440

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donmauldin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced my fuel pump recently, and about 2 weeks later got an odor of raw gas, and Service Engine Soon, code P0440. Changed out gas caps , reset the light and the problem continues.
5.3 Flex Tahoe. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is your VIN information report stating the vehicles assembled equipment

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the 2001 Yukon weight and towing capacities chart (poorly highlighted with your configuration)

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what your a pillar/door placard will look like with the same weight ratings which is inside the driver door (again poorly highlighted, sorry)

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, P0440 is not uncommon. Attached is a screenshot from ProDemand with the top causes of your specific dtc.

Attachments

• P0440.png
    P0440.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 8

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have personally had issues with the purge solenoid located on the front of the intake manifold, and the seal on the gas caps before. Remove your gas cap and check the sealing edge for cracking.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you smell fuel, that usually means leak. Hate to suggest you may have to go back in. Check your hoses first. And you may get lucky with just an O-ring replacement.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you smell fuel, that usually means leak. Hate to suggest you may have to go back in. Check your hoses first. And you may get lucky with just an O-ring replacement.
This was my thought as well.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my fuel pump recently, and about 2 weeks later got an odor of raw gas, and Service Engine Soon, code P0440. Changed out gas caps , reset the light and the problem continues.
5.3 Flex Tahoe. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks
You likely either got the big oring kinked up when installing the lockring that holds fuel module in place or once of the hoses you removed has a failed seal. Did you install clamps on filler hose to tank? Crawl under the tank and reach up on top and see if its wet around fuel pump lockring. If its then you get to replace that large oring again or you have a leaker hose in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak