'02 Tahoe, 250K miles, Starter wont engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ2819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new DIYer to the group running into an issue with my Tahoe starting. In October '19, I went to start my truck on a normal day. I heard a "spinning of gears" coming from my passenger side near the starter, but no engage of the engine. I assumed it was my starter giving me the signs it was about to go out (as the engine started up on the next turn of the key. I replaced the starter and still have the same issue.

It typically takes 1-3 key turns before it catches. Each time I can hear the gears of the starter spinning (if it does not engage) and I let off the turn. I notice if I turn the steering wheel to the left a until I feel resistance, the key turn tends to engage quicker, and usually starts on the first attempt.

Does anyone know what can cause this? I thought maybe a chip in the fly wheel, maybe my Ignition lock as I saw a post speaking about that, or my crankshaft sensor. Could someone possibly shed some light on the subject?

Tahoe.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second: Did you check ALL the flexplate teeth when you had the starter out? You should have. I would also suspect a low voltage problem to the starter. You should check voltage drop from battery to starter. Problems: dirty connections, loose connections, corroded cables that have corrosion inside the cable insulation that is creating resistance to voltage flow, battery may be on the way out, how old is the battery, if cables are original they should be changed out, alternator not charging fully, voltage at battery when trying to start....etc.

You may also have an ignition switch going out. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=514147&cc=1380372&jsn=3454

OP
OP
T

TJ2819

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second: Did you check ALL the flexplate teeth when you had the starter out? You should have. I would also suspect a low voltage problem to the starter. You should check voltage drop from battery to starter. Problems: dirty connections, loose connections, corroded cables that have corrosion inside the cable insulation that is creating resistance to voltage flow, battery may be on the way out, how old is the battery, if cables are original they should be changed out, alternator not charging fully, voltage at battery when trying to start....etc.

You may also have an ignition switch going out. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=514147&cc=1380372&jsn=3454

I did not check the flexplate teeth, But that will be something checked in the next 3-4 days. The battery was just replaced 3 months ago and was checked. Cells were good. Alternator just replaced September 2019, Cables are not original but no grease build up, wear or tears in cable. I did not check into the ignition switch, so I will be checking into the flexplate also and let you know what I come up with in the next couple days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645