01 YXL Denali - Wiring up AUX input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdhayes2

Reaction score
Okay, I know there's been a couple threads SIMILAR to this, but here's my situation..

The 6 disk changer in the truck went out. Basically, when the truck starts it powers up and makes a loud clicking sound like it's cycling through all the discs that are trapped. It will not stop. So, I just unplugged the unit. The rest of the system still works. Am I able to tap into that harness?

Is it possible to just take a standard 1/8" to 1/8" cable, cut it, strip it, and splice it into the harness? IF SO, any idea what cables I'd look for in the harness? :/

Thanks a ton for the help/opinions!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen it done on a few other cars where they have ditched the changer turned it into a AUX input by doing just what you said. Make sure you only use the L-R output wires from the changer. I wouldn't want to see you fry your Iphone by putting 12v into it. I have also seen where the person has a Parrot Bluetooth and they tied it into the old style OnStar. the onstar has a interrupt wire and a audio wire. they just wired it in accordingly.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're going to have to look at a wiring dia to be 100% sure, you only need 3 unless there is a separate ground for each channel

OP
OP
cdhayes2

cdhayes2

Reaction score
Someone on a Denali forum hooked me up with the diagram.

Orange - Battery
Dark Green - E&C Data?
Black - Ground
Black/White Stripe - Audio Com?
Brown/White Stripe - Left Audio
Dark Green/White Stripe - Right Audio
Bare Wire - Shield
Grey - Dimming
Pink - R14?

I wired up the 1/8" to the right and left respectively and then cut the ground wire in the harness, soldered in a new one and grounded to the frame.

I started music on my iPhone, plugged it in, clicked CD and nothing happened. Didn't leave the radio source.

Ideas?

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
You need to leave the CD changer installed. The Radio has to see that as a source for it to get the audio from. Try that and see what happens.

Although, it might be kind of annoying listing to the cd changer constantly look for a cd.

OP
OP
cdhayes2

cdhayes2

Reaction score
You need to leave the CD changer installed. The Radio has to see that as a source for it to get the audio from. Try that and see what happens.

Although, it might be kind of annoying listing to the cd changer constantly look for a cd.

Gotcha. I've got it plugged in and it's not powering up. Oh well.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard others who try this say they need to leave a blank CD in it to trick it into thinking it's alive and kicking. If you cut the ground, do you need to ground it again?

OP
OP
cdhayes2

cdhayes2

Reaction score
I actually went ahead and ordered a new head unit. Gets here this afternoon. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually went ahead and ordered a new head unit. Gets here this afternoon. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4

the best idea I've ever heard on this topic in any forum. The factory radio in the 02 prior trucks is junk at best, the 03+ radio isn't much better in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts