01 Tahoe tune incoming, what (cold) air filter and exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a check in the goverments MOT requirements. In my case, the Chevy may not make more then 95+2 decibels nearby the muffler under 3500rpm.

EDIT1: Just spoke with my cousin who is trying to get to the Netherlands somewhere in the next months. No problem for him to take the Airaid 200-912 for me if I order it and send it to him. But we first gonna wait until he knows more about joining a flight!

I think you can meet those noise requirements.

For the time being, you can drop in that AEM DryFlow filter then install the tube whenever you get it. Really, you can make a tube out of PVC or ABS plumbing pipe and some silicone couplers. Being where you live, this should be a really cheap option. The main thing is to keep a filter in an enclosed box that can only draw air from outside the engine bay. This is exactly how the factory setup is. The cheap-but-pretty aftermarket ones with "heat shields" don't do shit for isolating the filter from the hot underhood air.

This reminds me- you should replace and/or upgrade the seal from the filter box to the fender. The factory one is thin and falls out of place, creating large gaps open to the hot air.

I got some foam from a hardware store:

077578030401.jpg

And replaced the crappy factory seal:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-68#post-1451013

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/MooSun-Intak...eywords=moosun+cold+air&qid=1609083992&sr=8-2 I bought and installed this for under 60 bucks looks great and easy to install.
Thanks for the input, looks good for the money. But for me it will be €125 with shipping and taxes. When my cousin gets the opportunity to get to the Netherlands I will order the Airaid 200-912 and a AEM dry air filter from AEM and keep de original box as described in the following post:

I think you can meet those noise requirements.

For the time being, you can drop in that AEM DryFlow filter then install the tube whenever you get it. Really, you can make a tube out of PVC or ABS plumbing pipe and some silicone couplers. Being where you live, this should be a really cheap option. The main thing is to keep a filter in an enclosed box that can only draw air from outside the engine bay. This is exactly how the factory setup is. The cheap-but-pretty aftermarket ones with "heat shields" don't do shit for isolating the filter from the hot underhood air.

This reminds me- you should replace and/or upgrade the seal from the filter box to the fender. The factory one is thin and falls out of place, creating large gaps open to the hot air.

I got some foam from a hardware store:

077578030401.jpg

And replaced the crappy factory seal:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-68#post-1451013

Actually what I was thinking, keep the OEM parts, and yes, my opinion is yes same if we talk about an airfilter intake system as mentioned above, those will draw all the heat from the engine also. And that the intake tube is restricted sounds reasonable story because most cars have this. Just want to give the engine the air it deserves :) But talking about decibels at the exhaust tip, will such a Airaid intake tube and AEM dry filter make a difference in decibels at the exhaust?

Thanks for the useful information :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, looks good for the money. But for me it will be €125 with shipping and taxes. When my cousin gets the opportunity to get to the Netherlands I will order the Airaid 200-912 and a AEM dry air filter from AEM and keep de original box as described in the following post:

Actually what I was thinking, keep the OEM parts, and yes, my opinion is yes same if we talk about an airfilter intake system as mentioned above, those will draw all the heat from the engine also. And that the intake tube is restricted sounds reasonable story because most cars have this. Just want to give the engine the air it deserves :) But talking about decibels at the exhaust tip, will such a Airaid intake tube and AEM dry filter make a difference in decibels at the exhaust?

Thanks for the useful information :)

The factory intake box, filter or tube isn't a significant restriction for the engine. For the most part, they are capable of flowing what the engine can suck in at WOT and 6,000 RPM. It's the same setup that's on the larger 6.0 engine. If it's good enough for that one, it's good enough for your 5.3. The hindrance in the flow is turbulence caused by the accordion tube and the chambers branching off of the tube that are for muffling the intake noise.

No, changing the intake setup will not make the exhaust louder. The Airaid MIT will cause a deep growl when you get on the throttle. But, this sound will come from under the hood. It's a way to get a little (just a little) extra horsepower and a nice, powerful sound without making your exhaust louder. But, you'll only hear it when the engine is under load, like when you're getting on the throttle or when going up an incline. Steadily cruising, or holding a steady RPM (such as when they're inspecting your vehicle), it won't make any extra noise.

John Day

Reaction score
Hi guys, Tonny from the Netherlands here.

I've a stock 4x4 Tahoe LT 5.3 2001, original Dutch delivered.

I found a famous Honda tuner nearby, where I went for a visit yesterday. I went there yesterday and looked at the options, he can pretty much do the same as Black Bear Performance so that's great, and he is nearby.

Now my following question. Because I've a muffler bigger than a truck, you can barely hear the beautiful v8. In some cases it's actually handy but I really want better sound, and if possible with my budget, a exhaust that can give some extra power and torque in combination with the tune incoming. My exhaust:
View attachment 265930

Air filter: Is it worth taking a K&N cold air intake for like €300 dollars over a ebay version for like 60/80 dollar? I mean, that is a big difference.. Or Airaid?

Exhaust: options in the Netherlands are a lot less then you guys have in America. But I can get for example a flowmaster 40 series muffler for €155, 3 inch in and out. Also possible to get Magnaflow mufflers in Holland or Germany for example. I first wanted to straight pipe it, but it will probably be to loud.

So what do you guys reckon? Waiting for your opinions.

All make the best of this weird time and lets hope for the best in 2021.

Groetjes Tonny

View attachment 265929
Specter. CAI. $170us on eBay. Does the same thing for $50 <

B634774F-17A0-4BF3-A727-D1657D762430.jpeg

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory intake box, filter or tube isn't a significant restriction for the engine. For the most part, they are capable of flowing what the engine can suck in at WOT and 6,000 RPM. It's the same setup that's on the larger 6.0 engine. If it's good enough for that one, it's good enough for your 5.3. The hindrance in the flow is turbulence caused by the accordion tube and the chambers branching off of the tube that are for muffling the intake noise.

No, changing the intake setup will not make the exhaust louder. The Airaid MIT will cause a deep growl when you get on the throttle. But, this sound will come from under the hood. It's a way to get a little (just a little) extra horsepower and a nice, powerful sound without making your exhaust louder. But, you'll only hear it when the engine is under load, like when you're getting on the throttle or when going up an incline. Steadily cruising, or holding a steady RPM (such as when they're inspecting your vehicle), it won't make any extra noise.
Thanks for the explanation. That's exactly what I want. I want to hear the engine more, especially under load. I don't think I will get 50 extra horses but free flowing air is never bad. Exhaust is so big it almost must be a restriction for the engine, and as said a little more noise is welcome.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Specter. CAI. $170us on eBay. Does the same thing for $50 <

View attachment 266150
After the explanations I already decided to keep my stock airbox and add a free flow filter. The Airaid will come only when my cousin has the possibility to come to NL in the coming months. Exhaust are not a problem to get in the Netherlands.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock exhaust sound, in between two houses. Filmed in June 2019.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. That's exactly what I want. I want to hear the engine more, especially under load. I don't think I will get 50 extra horses but free flowing air is never bad. Exhaust is so big it almost must be a restriction for the engine, and as said a little more noise is welcome.

This is what you'll get and it'll be quiet as stock when cruising. It's a beautiful thing. lol

The muffler isn't really a terrible restriction for most any normal driving. Due to it's design, it does slow the flow a little at WOT and higher RPM, so there's room for improvement. A few horses were sacrificed in the name of quietness. But, you can get a free-flow muffler that operates much like the intake tube- It won't be much louder when idling or normal driving, but will have a strong growl when you put your foot in it. The Magnaflow #12589 is such a muffler. The next step up in aggressiveness is the #11259. I get the clones of these, made by by AP Exhaust in their Xlerator line, since they are half the cost. The clone to the MF 12589 is the XS2589 and the clone to the MF 11259 from is the XS1259. I'm now running both of these mufflers together, in series, since it got so loud after removing the cats.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what you'll get and it'll be quiet as stock when cruising. It's a beautiful thing. lol

The muffler isn't really a terrible restriction for most any normal driving. Due to it's design, it does slow the flow a little at WOT and higher RPM, so there's room for improvement. A few horses were sacrificed in the name of quietness. But, you can get a free-flow muffler that operates much like the intake tube- It won't be much louder when idling or normal driving, but will have a strong growl when you put your foot in it. The Magnaflow #12589 is such a muffler. The next step up in aggressiveness is the #11259. I get the clones of these, made by by AP Exhaust in their Xlerator line, since they are half the cost. The clone to the MF 12589 is the XS2589 and the clone to the MF 11259 from is the XS1259. I'm now running both of these mufflers together, in series, since it got so loud after removing the cats.
I know but that is why I want to change it too. Since I want to tune it to go to 5800/5900 rpm shifting point. Unfortunately I can't get these mufflers in Europe you mentioned. https://www.celtemp-services.nl/3in...7_2557.html?osCsid=7po8dfuvd1i48of7feulevkes5 this is my chose for 3 inch in NL for Magnaflow. But is for example this muffler from Flowmaster Flow FX https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-574228...lowmaster-flowfx-mufflers-2-25-2-5-en-3-inch/ a good choice? Also freeflow and €85 euro, is $68 dollars. Because the Magnaflows you mentioned I can only get via ebay and will be like $150+ dollars plus including shipping and taxes. Thanks for your proper information so far :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper