XLDenali06's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's where the front facing camera is (and you can see how awful the plastidip looks close-up as a result of my efforts to fix a small problem turning it instead into a big problem :p )

The camera placement was really simple (it's actually been in place for weeks while I put off wiring it up, lol). I just drilled a couple small holes in the recessed part of the grille and used a small zip tie to hold it in place. The distance between the top hole in the honeycomb and the recessed part of the grille worked out perfectly for the type of camera I got and it's dimensions. A different camera might require a slightly different install. I liked that this method required very little modification to the car. No drilling big holes like if I put it in the bumper.

View attachment 179210 View attachment 179211 View attachment 179212 View attachment 179213

nice job, man!

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Every time I contact someone on craigslist to get a car part, I find myself automatically assuming it's a a guy. So it's understandable when other people do it to me ;-)

sorry. now i feel like an a-hole. i shouldn't have assumed. please forgive my ignorance! :)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally finished installing my front-facing camera. Installed a push-button momentary switch that allows me to cycle through the front-facing camera, the backup camera, and the stock radio/nav screen.

Pardon all the weeds in and around the driveway. No excuses. I've neglected it.

View attachment 179187 View attachment 179188 View attachment 179189 View attachment 179190

The video feeds have a lot of electrical "noise" that I've determined is from the cheap RCA being combined with the power wire. So, until I want to run separate RCAs and power wires, I'll just deal with the lines on the screen. If I can't make time to stay on top of flower bed maintenance, I'm not going to worry about less than perfect parking views. Lol.

I also got my 3.5mm aux plug put in the dash. I haven't wired it up to the XM receiver yet. May get to that later today. Not a big priority, but since I was dremeling it a hole for the video switcher, figured I'd go ahead and get the Aux jack in there.

Wow, nice job! Can you elaborate on the wiring for the momentary "switcharoo" button?

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice job! Can you elaborate on the wiring for the momentary "switcharoo" button?

To be able to use my stock nav screen to view the camera display, I had to install the NavTool interface (http://www.navtool.com/chevrolet-suburban-2005-2006-rgb-interface.aspx)

In order to view whatever video you have wired up to video 1 (in my case, the front facing camera, but you could hook up DVD or whatever) you have to use a momentary switch (circuit remains open except when pressed). Short pressing cycles between video 1 and video 2. A long press takes you back to the regular radio/navigation screen.

I powered the camera and the switch through the radio fuse under the hood. I used one of these add-a-circuit fuse things to accomplish that (https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SUTYYS2)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
To be able to use my stock nav screen to view the camera display, I had to install the NavTool interface (http://www.navtool.com/chevrolet-suburban-2005-2006-rgb-interface.aspx)

In order to view whatever video you have wired up to video 1 (in my case, the front facing camera, but you could hook up DVD or whatever) you have to use a momentary switch (circuit remains open except when pressed). Short pressing cycles between video 1 and video 2. A long press takes you back to the regular radio/navigation screen.

I powered the camera and the switch through the radio fuse under the hood. I used one of these add-a-circuit fuse things to accomplish that (https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SUTYYS2)

Am I understanding correctly that the leads for the "source" button are part of the navtool and just need to be hooked up to a momentary switch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog