What "must have" option bumped you to the next trim level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's really good vinyl...

Same here but the pleather stuff seems to last a lot longer and doesn't get as worn and wrinkled nearly as quick. However, nothing beats the smell of a brand new car with leather and of course the feel of that new leather.

1000% agree. Even in my old truck, if it's been sitting for a few days, the smell of the leather hits you in face as soon as you open the door.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the MB-Tex vinyl in our 2016 C300 Mercedes. It does appear that it will wear better than leather. It also definitely lacks that wonderful new leather smell. So, I agree.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the MB-Tex vinyl in our 2016 C300 Mercedes. It does appear that it will wear better than leather. It also definitely lacks that wonderful new leather smell. So, I agree.

I found the MB-Tex leather in my C400 to be pretty damn nice.

The rest of the vehicle on the other hand...what a piece of junk.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the MB-Tex leather in my C400 to be pretty damn nice.

The rest of the vehicle on the other hand...what a piece of junk.

Interesting. We have an E and have had, knock wood, very good luck with it. Looks like the C gets 2 out of 5 stars from JD Power for initial quality...

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the interesting thing (at risk of hijacking this into a Mercedes discussion) is that they are not ashamed of the MB-Tex at all. Our C300 is very well-equipped; it has just about everything. But they did not spec leather on it, and at the time we were looking there appeared not to be a single C300 in Denver or Colorado Springs that did have leather. And, many of the C45 models had it too!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the interesting thing (at risk of hijacking this into a Mercedes discussion) is that they are not ashamed of the MB-Tex at all. Our C300 is very well-equipped; it has just about everything. But they did not spec leather on it, and at the time we were looking there appeared not to be a single C300 in Denver or Colorado Springs that did have leather. And, many of the C45 models had it too!
Thats interesting. Looks like adding leather is a no cost option. Not sure why nobody orders it that way....

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehi...el-C300WB4#loadOptions=2:040&tab=tab-interior

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours is too new to tell, but it is the first Mercedes after many BMWs. So it will be interesting to see.

Interesting. We have an E and have had, knock wood, very good luck with it. Looks like the C gets 2 out of 5 stars from JD Power for initial quality...

I absolutely loved the C400 for what it was supposed to be. The design inside and out is gorgeous (IMO) but beyond that, the one I got was a nightmare. Within a couple weeks of ownership there were several rattles inside the dash that they could not seem to resolve. The fit and finish on various parts on the exterior left a lot to be desired and after the purchase I noticed a few areas where the bumper did not light up properly with the body and the dealership was not interested in fixing it as they said they can take the bumper off but gave no guarantees that they could put it on any better. Then I also had issues with a creaking noise when going over speed bumps. The dealership was able to fix that one. The straw that broke the camels back was the major issue with the collision prevention assist safety feature. I had on several occasions where it would completely fail on me and during the failure I would have reduced engine power and traction control would disable itself. The only way to fix it was to pull off the onto the side of the road and power the vehicle off entirely and restart it. It would then be good for a while and randomly happen again. On several occasions the dealership said the car didn't even record any errors even though I had photo and video proof of the issue. The dealership worked with engineers back in Germany and while they had a fix and it was being applied to cars on the factory line they provided no timeline for when they would have a fix available for the dealerships. The dealership then said that they obtained the details of the fix and their mechanics tried to replicate the fix but that did nothing for my car. Seeing as how this was my daily driver and I was using it to shuttle the kiddo to and from daycare everyday as well, I was not about to wait for a fix on what was turning out to be a rather big safety issue at that point so I dumped it and got into the Tahoe. /rant

Sorry for the thread derailment!

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the right way to tie this up is to mention how much has changed when people are cross-shopping domestic full-size trucks against European sedans.

My Tahoe is a totally different animal than any of my BMWs (even the X5), but it is a very good specimen of its class and I don't regret the switch at all.