Tahoe PPV Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Maga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Vibrations hah, I went through quite the drama filled adventure when I first bought my PPV. Looong story.

I'm curious if its your transmission.
I know its near impossible to know without actually riding in it so I much appreciate you trying to help. Other than finding someone near me to compare PPV rides, I'm not sure what to do. Don't want to bring it back to dealer for them to tell me something else. Already replaced shocks and 4 tires.......

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time, I try to help as much as I can.
I forgot though, you have a 6spd, not the 4spd. So, I'm back at square one. As I know nothing about the 6spds.
One of the issues with the 4L60E was the TCC valve bore would wear over time. I think it started when they introduced PWM (pulse width modulation). I brought it to several dealers, transmission shops and finally settled with a GM specific performance shop. Boy was that a mistake. Long story short, they had no idea what was going on, charged an arm and a leg. I actually found out what the problem was from a member on LS1Tech. Too bad the damage was done. The fix helped but it still has a slight vibration. I can deal with it until I do a trans swap though.

Ok back to the topic here, haha.
Have you heard of road force balancing or something like that?
Maybe driveshaft is out of balance
There was mention about struts being lose. I'm guessing the three nuts on top.

I'll do some research and see what I can find.

Reaction score
992dr - Thanks for the reply.

I do have another question, which might belong in a new thread. Just let me know and I'll find a new forum.

I know that the suspension is harder than the standard tahoe, however I can feel everything in the truck. There definetely is a low vibration, and any sort of non perfection in the road is amplified. If you wanted to read or do anything while driving it is not possible. The jump seat even starts to vibrate if i do not have my arm on it. The tires were balanced recently. The truck isn't necessarily shaking where a bearing or something is about to fall off.

I am not sure what model suspension this has, (maybe someone knows the part, etc) - however it feels like the dampers (if it has it) are non-existent.

I am going to take it somewhere, howeve I would like to have some knowledge prior. Is this a huge issue?

Note: This truck was from a constable in Texas, and appeared to be driven on clay/gravel roads. (This is an assumption by all the original orange clay throughout the truck)
Thanks again for the help.

I strongly recommend the Bilstein 5100 Series shocks. They still allow the truck to handle well, but take to crappy road conditions much better. My factory PPV suspension gave me back problems, and so we put the 5100 shocks in....problem solved.

You need two of each of these:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspens...aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=BIL24-187237

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspens...aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=BIL24-186940

Direct bolt in to the factory holes.

As for tires, ditch the Goodyears, and get to a more standard size that's priced better. The goodyear tires transfer vibrations much more than most tires, especially as they get old.

I really like the Continental CrossContact tires in 276/60 R17 size. They're not really much taller than factory tires, a little bit wider (looks good), and handle minor vibrations much better.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...CLX20OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a softer, less jolting ride is what you are after......I'd go with something like @aggmeister2010 recommended above. I may have missed it, but how many miles does your 2012 have on it? My 2010 had 180k on the odo, my shocks and springs were worn out. As a result, the somewhat fresh RSA's were wearing fast and not evenly. Once the wear started to become visual on the tires, that thing should like Michael J Fox on meth.

I recently replaced my shocks and springs for Belltech. The ride is firm, but in a desirable way.....much like a real sports suspension should be. The biggest change was dropping the RSA's though, I went with Continental Contact LX 20, and went with a little taller of a tire at 265/70-17 (still on the steelies). Best money I've spent! I haven't spilled a beer since.

Reaction score
I recently replaced my shocks and springs for Belltech. The ride is firm, but in a desirable way.....much like a real sports suspension should be. The biggest change was dropping the RSA's though, I went with Continental Contact LX 20, and went with a little taller of a tire at 265/70-17 (still on the steelies). Best money I've spent! I haven't spilled a beer since.

Agreed, those Continental tires do a good job for half the price of the RS-A's. Unless you're doing pursuit responses above 100 mph regularly, you don't really need the RS-A's.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but are there any long term updates you guys have with the tires you've purchased?

Curious to see how the contis / nittos etc have held up. Seems like the RS-A's have dropped in price as well and are in line with the conti lx20's.
At that price point it seems like the playing field is pretty level.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Firehawks. They've lasted me a long time and they're very quiet to.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I forget what tires I have haha. I am happy with them though, they are holding up and have lasted quite a bit longer than the 420s I had previously.
While I think the RSAs are a great tire, even for a little less, I'd find something else. They are just too soft and wear too fast for my liking. Contis will be my next set when my tires wear out.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're still rocking the 275-60 RS-As. They perform well and have held up well. Haven't autocrossed the truck with them yet, but time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645