Tahoe PPV Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U2SLOW4ME

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For all of you that have a PPV, you know we are VERY limited in our tire options. The Good Year and Firestone options are expensive, but I have good news. I just had Nexen Roadian HP's (265/60/17) put on and WOW! I have only driven about 60 miles on them so far, but the ride quality over the Good Years is amazing and they have a higher speed rating. They only cost me $615 for the tires with installation, where the Good Years were going to cost me almost $1,200!

jerrito1

Reaction score
Thats great to know. I just got new Goodyears on my PPV and the ride is OK. I will definately try out the Nexxen tires in the future if I still have the same wheels. I want to upgrade to KMC Slides someday :rockit:

Pooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oem goodyears are absolute JUNK. Terrible wet weather traction, dont wear well and loud as can be. I think almost ANY tire is better than the Goodyears, lol. You can even step up to 265/70/17s and its not going to hurt anything(the SSVs run 70s), I ran those on steelies for a bit(just because they were free tires) and liked the slightly beefier look. Good to know someone else makes that size though now.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah,those RSAs are not good. Don't really understand why they are put on a police cars where safety is so important. They came on my '04 srx and could never get them balanced.
On a wet road they would spin and the rear would step out with just a little bit of throttle. I finally put continentals on and that solved that.
Got them again on my '07 srx and couldn't get those balanced either.
Bought some GM accessory whelks with michelins an that solved that issue as well. When I turned the 07 I kept the accessory wheels and michelins.
Got a '09 srx and fortunately the came with michelins.
Those Goodyear RSAs are awful. Who gets 2 Cadillacs with tires that are crap? It's the tires not the car.

Silver Trooper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just priced the Nexen Rodian HP SUV at several sites and Walmart has them for $496, free shipping and what ever your state and local taxes may be in your area. That is much cheaper than the Goodyears and the lowest I have seen for the Nexens.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPV tires are a performance tire with a soft compound. Being state owned, they can swap them out whenever they want, haha.

I would like to increase mine up to a 70 series instead of the 60.
I think that will help with a little better MPGs and will also handle as well, maybe not as good as the lower profile 60 series but then again, it is a 5200lb SUV, hah.

How are those Nexen tires rated/reviewed?

Silver Trooper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
PPV tires are a performance tire with a soft compound. Being state owned, they can swap them out whenever they want, haha.

I would like to increase mine up to a 70 series instead of the 60.
I think that will help with a little better MPGs and will also handle as well, maybe not as good as the lower profile 60 series but then again, it is a 5200lb SUV, hah.

How are those Nexen tires rated/reviewed?

As far as reviews, just search Nexen in Bing or Google and you can get all the reviews you want. As far as switching to the 70 series, it is your truck and can do as you please, but they really defeat the purpose of having a PPV in the first place. More rollover, more sidewall flex, less contact patch and several other reasons it would not be the same in many ways as far as the handling goes. You basically end up with a plain Tahoe, or worse, since the suspension was tuned from the factory to run the shorter, stiffer tires, all sorts of geometry problems (which I won't bore you with here) will also surface. Plus, the MPG difference is not that great and your PCM would have to be recalibrated for the new size with a Tech II. So, other than that how was the play Mr. Lincoln?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as reviews, just search Nexen in Bing or Google and you can get all the reviews you want. As far as switching to the 70 series, it is your truck and can do as you please, but they really defeat the purpose of having a PPV in the first place. More rollover, more sidewall flex, less contact patch and several other reasons it would not be the same in many ways as far as the handling goes. You basically end up with a plain Tahoe, or worse, since the suspension was tuned from the factory to run the shorter, stiffer tires, all sorts of geometry problems (which I won't bore you with here) will also surface. Plus, the MPG difference is not that great and your PCM would have to be recalibrated for the new size with a Tech II. So, other than that how was the play Mr. Lincoln?

Not going that route. Sticking with PPV height but going with more a performance tire. Still searching but have had some recommendations for Nitto 420s
http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/nitto/275%2F60-17+nitto+nt420s+100v+bw.html
I'm still looking around for other models though. I'd like to try and find a more squared off tire instead of having the sidewall bulge, hah. Not sure if I'll have any luck with that other than going with a larger wheel.

Could 275/60/17 's be stretched to fit and not cause any problems?

That's roughly a half an inch wider. It shouldn't be a problem mounting them or be in the way of anything.

Reaction score
I use Continental Crosstrack LX20 in 275/60/17 on my PPV and I love them. They're maybe 0.5" taller, 0.5" wider, but you can't tell a difference...however the ride and noise are dramatically improved over the Goodyears. I was only able to get 30k miles out of the factory Goodyear tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts