Tahoe PPV Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but when looking up that tire size at Tire Rack, 115 or so tires came up. Maybe it's the speed rating that is limiting the choices?
I assume you searched 265/70-17? Which was the SSV size, instead of the PPV size of 265/60-17. TireRack still has just the RSA's we all love to hate for the PPV size.

Lots of reasons for so many choices, really it breaks them up best by what you want out of the tire. All terrain, highway tires (mileage), or performance. Expand the "Performance" tab on the left column and it breaks them up for you by what you want out of your tire. Pretty sure the bulk of us are either highway tires or performance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, got it now, thanks! Didn't know they (PPV) ran a 60 series tire. What is the procedure for recalibrating the speedometer when changing sizes?

Z Maga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone - I am new to owning a Tahoe PPV. I have a 2012 PPV from TX. I recently got a nail in the sidewall of my RS-A 265/60/17 108V. I like the look, size, etc however the price on replcement of the RS-A is crazy. Since it's been awhile since people have been trying out tires, what would be the recommendation for a tire that would not change the look and feel of the truck.

The Nexen Roadian HP's the closest thing to the RS-A as far as size, aesthics, etc?

Thanks again everyone.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Z, welcome aboard :)

I believe the Nexen is the only other available tire in that particular size. They seem to get good reviews.
I like many others have gone up in size, there's more of an option for tires. 265/60/17s are an odd size. And for the life of me, I cant remember what size I replaced my RS-As with. Huh, I think I went with a 265/70. I'll have to double check on that.

Z Maga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
992dr - Thanks for the reply.

I do have another question, which might belong in a new thread. Just let me know and I'll find a new forum.

I know that the suspension is harder than the standard tahoe, however I can feel everything in the truck. There definetely is a low vibration, and any sort of non perfection in the road is amplified. If you wanted to read or do anything while driving it is not possible. The jump seat even starts to vibrate if i do not have my arm on it. The tires were balanced recently. The truck isn't necessarily shaking where a bearing or something is about to fall off.

I am not sure what model suspension this has, (maybe someone knows the part, etc) - however it feels like the dampers (if it has it) are non-existent.

I am going to take it somewhere, howeve I would like to have some knowledge prior. Is this a huge issue?

Note: This truck was from a constable in Texas, and appeared to be driven on clay/gravel roads. (This is an assumption by all the original orange clay throughout the truck)
Thanks again for the help.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
992dr - Thanks for the reply.

I do have another question, which might belong in a new thread. Just let me know and I'll find a new forum.

I know that the suspension is harder than the standard tahoe, however I can feel everything in the truck. There definetely is a low vibration, and any sort of non perfection in the road is amplified. If you wanted to read or do anything while driving it is not possible. The jump seat even starts to vibrate if i do not have my arm on it. The tires were balanced recently. The truck isn't necessarily shaking where a bearing or something is about to fall off.

I am not sure what model suspension this has, (maybe someone knows the part, etc) - however it feels like the dampers (if it has it) are non-existent.

I am going to take it somewhere, howeve I would like to have some knowledge prior. Is this a huge issue?

Note: This truck was from a constable in Texas, and appeared to be driven on clay/gravel roads. (This is an assumption by all the original orange clay throughout the truck)
Thanks again for the help.

Any time Z Maga, I try to help as much as I can.

Well, we now have a PPV specific section. I have no idea how to move nor do I have the authority so, I'll respond here and if it gets moved, that's ok :) .

The PPVs have more of a firm ride compared to the civilian models. One of the biggest mods is a free travel mod. Basically you're removing the rear bump stop mount and jounce pad and in place will install a standard bump stop. I believe the front has a jounce pad as well. I'll have to look at that to make sure.

If your jump seat is vibrating, I'd double check the bolts to make sure they are tight on your jump seat.

Suspension is PPV specific.

Your suspension could be warn out, especially if it made frequent trips down those clay/gravel roads. Mine is now starting to feel quite sloppy after 210k miles. I'm replacing everything though.

Z Maga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any time Z Maga, I try to help as much as I can.

Well, we now have a PPV specific section. I have no idea how to move nor do I have the authority so, I'll respond here and if it gets moved, that's ok :) .

The PPVs have more of a firm ride compared to the civilian models. One of the biggest mods is a free travel mod. Basically you're removing the rear bump stop mount and jounce pad and in place will install a standard bump stop. I believe the front has a jounce pad as well. I'll have to look at that to make sure.

If your jump seat is vibrating, I'd double check the bolts to make sure they are tight on your jump seat.

Suspension is PPV specific.

Your suspension could be warn out, especially if it made frequent trips down those clay/gravel roads. Mine is now starting to feel quite sloppy after 210k miles. I'm replacing everything though.
Thanks for the reply.

The shocks and tires were replaced, however you still feel everything on the road. If I go over perfectly paved road it's smooth, however if it it is at all course, etc vibrates the truck to some extent. The jump seat is tight. No movement and bolts are tight as well.

I notice it more now because I lean on the arm rest now which is ultimately attached to the floor so I feel all vibration, etc in the road.

Maybe I am not used to it and that's how the harder suspension rides?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The shocks and tires were replaced, however you still feel everything on the road. If I go over perfectly paved road it's smooth, however if it it is at all course, etc vibrates the truck to some extent. The jump seat is tight. No movement and bolts are tight as well.

I notice it more now because I lean on the arm rest now which is ultimately attached to the floor so I feel all vibration, etc in the road.

Maybe I am not used to it and that's how the harder suspension rides?

That was one of the main reasons for me to get a PPV. Besides being a stripped down model, the firm suspension is what I desire.

Have you looked into the free travel mod?

Z Maga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That was one of the main reasons for me to get a PPV. Besides being a stripped down model, the firm suspension is what I desire.

Have you looked into the free travel mod?
If in an riding and look at passenger (not jumpseat) seat it is noticeably vibrating. Yours is the Same? I am not taking holes or bumps in road. Just asphalt, at any speed really. Could be 30mph in neighborhood.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If in an riding and look at passenger (not jumpseat) seat it is noticeably vibrating. Yours is the Same? I am not taking holes or bumps in road. Just asphalt, at any speed really. Could be 30mph in neighborhood.

Vibrations hah, I went through quite the drama filled adventure when I first bought my PPV. Looong story.

I'm curious if its your transmission.