Saving a few NBS'ssss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
Sure, I'll help you with a link to the tech section article. Read up. There's another one too from Scottyboy in there. All you have to do is stroll through the tech section, you don't even have to search. I have no idea about HP Tuners. I had BlackBear turn my pin on.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-install-e-fans.9400/

thanks man ill defiantly give it a read. that is one of the things ive always had on the back of my mind but never really looked into it.

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I can breathe a little! I got the 03 back from the frame and alignment shop after they actually finished performing what I paid them for. Aside from getting it back together, I climbed under the hood to finish of the E-fan swap. I will tell you that some corrections need to be made to the main write-ups! While this is very popular with the 00-02 crowd....us 03 and 04 guys want these fans too! There is a bunch of info for the earlier years as well as the later using aftermarket harnesses but nothing for 03 and 04 guys using the oem harness. Yes blue pin 42 and green pin 33 is all over but which flipping wire goes where??? The main write up states green wire to green plug and blue wire to blue plug but after combing the internet with a comb there was ONE guy that said to reverse the colors! After I re-read all of the threads I noticed that every time someone like me started to ask @bottomline2000 would chime in and tell them they were either asking the wrong question or they needed to be reminded of the instructions for 00-02 or something but the questioning never progressed to the answer that I was looking for!! So....after tearing apart a perfectly good 05 Z71......THE ANSWER IS GREEN WIRE TO BLUE PLUG AND BLUE WIRE TO GREEN PLUG DAMNIT!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I can breathe a little! I got the 03 back from the frame and alignment shop after they actually finished performing what I paid them for. Aside from getting it back together, I climbed under the hood to finish of the E-fan swap. I will tell you that some corrections need to be made to the main write-ups! While this is very popular with the 00-02 crowd....us 03 and 04 guys want these fans too! There is a bunch of info for the earlier years as well as the later using aftermarket harnesses but nothing for 03 and 04 guys using the oem harness. Yes blue pin 42 and green pin 33 is all over but which flipping wire goes where??? The main write up states green wire to green plug and blue wire to blue plug but after combing the internet with a comb there was ONE guy that said to reverse the colors! After I re-read all of the threads I noticed that every time someone like me started to ask @bottomline2000 would chime in and tell them they were either asking the wrong question or they needed to be reminded of the instructions for 00-02 or something but the questioning never progressed to the answer that I was looking for!! So....after tearing apart a perfectly good 05 Z71......THE ANSWER IS GREEN WIRE TO BLUE PLUG AND BLUE WIRE TO GREEN PLUG DAMNIT!
That's weird. In this YouTube video of a guy installing a Nelson harness the green 33 is going to the green connector and the blue wire 42 in going to the blue connector. Why did you need to reverse them?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite the fleet! Nice work in the fans! Something I don’t even think of because my 2006 already has efans. Lol. When black bear did my tune a couple weeks ago he kicked them on as part of my tune, so they run all the time now. I hadnt even noticed til the next day when I was back home driving across town. I was like why are the fans on after short drive?! Then I realized oh Justin must have changed it so they run all the time. Lol.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite the fleet! Nice work in the fans! Something I don’t even think of because my 2006 already has efans. Lol. When black bear did my tune a couple weeks ago he kicked them on as part of my tune, so they run all the time now. I hadnt even noticed til the next day when I was back home driving across town. I was like why are the fans on after short drive?! Then I realized oh Justin must have changed it so they run all the time. Lol.
That's not right, they shouldn't run all the time. You should email Justin and ask what's up. The whole point of having the ECM control them is do they DONT run all the time. Your engine is going to run too cool which will affect things like gas mileage , etc.

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not right, they shouldn't run all the time. You should email Justin and ask what's up. The whole point of having the ECM control them is do they DONT run all the time. Your engine is going to run too cool which will affect things like gas mileage , etc.

That is exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it!

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird. In this YouTube video of a guy installing a Nelson harness the green 33 is going to the green connector and the blue wire 42 in going to the blue connector. Why did you need to reverse them?

What you just said is EXACTLY why I had such a problem getting this install done correctly the first time go round! All of the aftermarket harnesses I guess color coded to the corresponding plug! BUT....if using the factory harness....it was the opposite. Oddly the 03-04 guys are in small numbers. This was a big mod on 00-02 and for some reason not the later. Then to make it worse all you can find is info pertaining to the A/C trigger and so on. I was just grateful to have access to the 05 to rip it open. On a side note one thing that everyone mentioned was how difficult it was to remove the pain in the arse grey plastic covers from the ecu plugs. I got that one down flawlessly and should probably post that info somewhere to help others out.

Here is the ONE guy that changed everything for me!! For a good laugh....fast forward to the 4:10 mark and listen to how he describes where the wires go. His description sent me into a panic! HAHAHA

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you just said is EXACTLY why I had such a problem getting this install done correctly the first time go round! All of the aftermarket harnesses I guess color coded to the corresponding plug! BUT....if using the factory harness....it was the opposite. Oddly the 03-04 guys are in small numbers. This was a big mod on 00-02 and for some reason not the later. Then to make it worse all you can find is info pertaining to the A/C trigger and so on. I was just grateful to have access to the 05 to rip it open. On a side note one thing that everyone mentioned was how difficult it was to remove the pain in the arse grey plastic covers from the ecu plugs. I got that one down flawlessly and should probably post that info somewhere to help others out.

Here is the ONE guy that changed everything for me!! For a good laugh....fast forward to the 4:10 mark and listen to how he describes where the wires go. His description sent me into a panic! HAHAHA

That was kinda funny. This is he first I've heard of this but I did my 02 and used an aftermarket harness. At this time I have a factory harness ready to go in but I need to use a relay for the second wire. There's a member on here (@ScottyBoy please chime in here) that's what I would call a guru on this stuff and he sells OEM harnesses and fans and helps out with install instructions so if this is something that needs to be addressed (and it sounds like it does) then I suggest we need to get this info into the tech section where it can be easily found.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked at his tech article that he wrote on using the factory harness on an 00-02 and he does show the green wire going to pin 42 on the blue connector. Also, there probably isn't a blank space at pin 42 on the green connector nor pin 33 on the blue connector, correct? Is this what clued you in to look for the answer?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm weird, my temp gauge always gets to just below 210 where it always runs. When I get home tomorrow, I should plug in the little diagnostic code reader I bought that gives And live data when it’s running and see what temp it’s running at, and see if it matches up with my temp gauge. I’ll watch it this week when I get home to see if the fans are always running, or just the last few minutes.