What's the chime I get a few minutes into a new drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to be on the lookout for what causes the "ding-a-ling" chime I get upon setting out on a new drive in my '23 Yukon -- and then when I hear it, it's too late to recognize what might have caused the chime.

Retroactively, I've thought that maybe the speed limit icon popping up on the dash is related to the chime, or if it chimes when the cameras pick up the first car in front of me, or... I don't know. It could be something through CarPlay for all I know. Whatever the case, it happens early in my drives, maybe not until I get on a main road with yellow lines dividing the two-way traffic, and I won't experience it again at all during that engine cycle.

Thoughts? Thanks!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the little bell in the upper left corner of your infotainment screen. If there’s a red dot there, tap it and see what the notification is.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Could be letting you know you're at a school zone too. Mine will make a noise to indicate that.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The school zone chime makes sense, especially based on the areas I think it has occurred. And in full disclosure, I haven’t checked the manual to see if there’s anything about this chime in there. Think there is??

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about upcoming RR crossings? Got the chime on a different road from where I’ve most noticed the chime before, but there was a RR crossing on this road, same as the other road. Seems maybe I got the chime @ the same distance from this crossing as the other.

Otherwise, no school zone today, and no notice on the bell icon next to the Driver tab on the nav screen…

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IFF ALL ELSE FAILS, check to see if:
you've any food stuck in your teeth
you've a booger hanging out of your nose
you left your button unbuttoned, your shirt untucked or your flye open
you left something behind / forgot to bring something with you

Amazing, these new vehicles ...

Jerboy23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have the speed limit alert set at a low speed - it should show on your in dash screen though as an alert along with the beep.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I DO have the speed limit sign in my dash screen. Ok, so that's a low-speed [limit] alert? Alerting me that the speed limit is under a certain speed in that location? I'll look it up in the manual. Thanks!

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
No it's a speed limit alert that you may have set too low. You can set the alert to chime once the vehicle exceeds the limit you have setup. I completely turned that off because it's pretty annoying.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we're talking about the same setting, it LOOKS like it is/was set at 55 -- and I've only gotten this chime maybe doing 20-25. So, either I haven't looked at the correct setting, or this chime I'm getting is unrelated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts