Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need a sound clip!
I'll do one as soon as I install the cam, which looks like I'll end up doing myself. A second shop told me yesterday that after researching what I told them about doing it with the heads in place, they believe there's a plate that will interfere with installing the dowels that would hold up the lifters. They said if I was interested in getting a price that included removing the heads (and Whipple obviously) they would be willing to do it that way. The other shop wanted $1600-$1800 as a GUESS and it might be more. I can't understand that with all the articles out there explaining there are 3 ways to install an LS cam without pulling the heads, why can't I find a shop that knows how to do it? Crap, they can just install 16 pen magnets into the pushrod holes and hold the lifters up that way if all else fails. I told the last shop I'll just do it myself and they acted like I was out of my mind. I'm gonna do it, then go back afterwards and tell them. I've had it.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll replace the dipstick tube too due to it being a lil rusty, that you simply unbolt it pull out and pop the new one in? Any o-rings you need to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'll probably have to remove the exhaust manifold to get it out if it's rusted. They break off at the block and the access to that little hole with the manifold on is about impossible, it's way down there about 8". If you try to pull it out it will probably break and then you WILL be replacing it. The O-ring is on the new tube.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll probably have to remove the exhaust manifold to get it out if it's rusted. They break off at the block and the access to that little hole with the manifold on is about impossible, it's way down there about 8". If you try to pull it out it will probably break and then you WILL be replacing it. The O-ring is on the new tube.

Thanks for the info, I'll try working around it looks like there is enough clearance if I leave the tube attached I did the plugs with it attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My AC Delco dipstick tube arrived damaged so I reordered one from Amazon and they said it would be here next Monday. I wanted to get this done today so I bought one from my local GM dealer for $7 more than Amazon's shipped price. Now I remember why I never buy parts there. That's way over list price. ARH had called me the other day to say an OEM one should fit with their headers so I unbolted the header like they said, leaving if connected at the swivel fitting. The OEM one popped right into the hole. The Dorman clamp had to go on at the same time in order to get the bolt in it. Basically, I had to have the header loose, then pop in the dipstick tube but leave it's bolt out, then install the header bolts, then the Dorman clamp bolts, then the dipstick bolt, in that order. I cleaned and painted the inner fender liners and installed them too. To be clear, I DO NOT recommend the Dorman dipstick tube. It must have a manufacturing defect because it would barely start in the hole and then get stuck. Glad to get this done.

IMG_6817.JPG IMG_6818.JPG IMG_6819.JPG

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do that Cam yourself and then go back to that shop and do a massive brake stand burnout so they can hear the whine, rumble and lope all in one with a massive cloud of smoke left behind and some burnt rubber in their driveway. BOOM!! Job completed. Then we can hear and see that TYF audio clip.

Nice work Red. Still amazed at the tenacity of this engine project and all the hard work. Great satisfaction of accomplishment. :waytogo::waytogo:

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Do that Cam yourself and then go back to that shop and do a massive brake stand burnout so they can hear the whine, rumble and lope all in one with a massive cloud of smoke left behind and some burnt rubber in there driveway. BOOM!! Job completed. Then we can hear and see that TYF audio clip.

Nice work Red. Still amazed at the tenacity of this engine project and all the hard work. Great satisfaction of accomplishment. :waytogo::waytogo:
Lol, I'd do that! :burnout:

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Fosscore . I just got back from my local muffler shop where I had an Aero turbine 3535 muffler installed. It's stainless 3.5" in/ out with lifetime warranty. I decided I wanted the Denali to SOUND like it had headers and a blower and now it definitely does. If you guys haven't heard one of these mufflers, especially under WOT, you'll be amazed when you do. It's "on the verge of being obnoxious" as the guy at the shop said. He explained that it's actually louder than a straight pipe and I believe it. I'll have to figure out how to get a sound clip on here since Photobucket is now a rip-off.

IMG_6820.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo