My '03 Yukon Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello community!

New to this forum, but not to wrenching and not to Chevy trucks (used to have a '98 Tahoe).

Anyhow, I was in the market for an SUV, and found this one Craigslist on May 9th. 2003 Yukon 5.3 FFV SLT AWD with 151k miles on it.

It drove like the SS Minnow on its three hour tour (steering was AWFUL!), check engine light was on, and the 'service stability' message was present. Tires were so worn I was worried about driving it the 20 miles home. But it seemed to run well and shift well, so I thought I would give it a shot. I whittled the guy down to $2500 cash, which I felt was a steal despite the wear items I knew I would have to sink into it.

As it looked when I bought it:

IMG_20170509_125414.jpg

It appeared to have had a leveling kit, which I saw as a bonus. Inside it had a single DIN JVC radio (originally a Bose car) and dark tinted windows. Beyond that, it largely seemed stock.

On my immediate to-do list:

- Replace front steering components (tie rods/ends/ball joints, sway bar end links)
- Replace tires
- Address check engine light
- Address 'Service Stability' message

On the immediate appearance mods:

- New headlights
- New taillights
- Remove side molding
- Black out chrome

The long distance list:

- Paint job to address fading on roof and hood
- Dent repair on lower front passenger door
- Replace rear bumper due to dent
- Replace front seat leather due to wear

So I ordered a bunch of parts, much to the chagrin of my bank account.

The first weekend (5/13/14):

- I replaced all of the worn front end components and added a steering dampener.
- I had an alignment (sprung for the lifetime)
- New headlights
- New taillights
- Check engine light ended up being P0178 and P0179 (flex fuel), so I found the http://www.pointaengineering.com/ sensor cheater and ordered it. I installed it (took about 1 minute) and reset the check engine light. Immediately I noticed it running better, and the aroma of unburnt fuel was gone. Yay!
- New tires - Instead of spending $500+ on new tires, I took to Craigslist determined to find some good used ones already mounted (I have found this to often be cheaper than buying new tires). I found a guy who had a set of 20" rims that were Plasti-dipped black with nearly new tires, so I picked them up.
- Removed side molding - This was a HUGE pain to do and took a good couple of hours with a heat gun and much cursing. The things just crumbled apart despite trying fishing line and all of that good stuff. Finally they were all off and residue was removed. I also removed the Yukon emblems and Plasti-dipped them before returning them to their original spots.

As it is now:

IMG_20170515_193445.jpg

Anyhow, it is starting to be a labor of love, as it is nice being back in a GM truck. The steering is still not 100% where I want it. I may do the steering box adjustment (there feels like some play in it still) and then have it aligned again to see if that helps.

Until next time...

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

The sensor is great, but it did not come cheap. I am fairly certain that this was an issue for a while because I am now getting an occasional P0420, likely meaning that unburnt fuel from the FFV sensor being bad either fouled the O2 sensors or the cats. Either way, a new set of O2 sensors arrive tomorrow.

It is SO nice having a vehicle I can work under without even putting a jack under it!

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Yea I saw that hefty price. But still a nice option I never knew about till now. Can use if for future reference.

Was your 98 lowered ? Or this being leveled is what you meant ?

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '98 was factory, but this truck seems to have either a leveling kit or torsion bar modification because it does not slope in the front... Are the NBS like this from the factory? I just assumed the front end was raised up, but maybe not?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My '98 was factory, but this truck seems to have either a leveling kit or torsion bar modification because it does not slope in the front... Are the NBS like this from the factory? I just assumed the front end was raised up, but maybe not?

Truck would have rake from the factory. Maybe just cranked the torsion bars up an inch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick