I installed a avic-8200nex with idatalink gm5 but cant get calls to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calsdad

Reaction score
Hey Crutchfield is saying the 4200NEX won't fit cuz of the fold down face. They are saying the 6.2" displays are the ones that fit.

Thanks

Well Crutchfield is wrong - I just installed my 8200 today - and it fits (with a little cutting at the back of the mounting hole) - and the fold down face opens with no issues using the Scosche mounting setup.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Crutchfield is wrong - I just installed my 8200 today - and it fits (with a little cutting at the back of the mounting hole) - and the fold down face opens with no issues using the Scosche mounting setup.
Well, that means that Crutchfield was in fact right, since you had to modify it to fit and function 100%.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

calsdad

Reaction score
Well, that means that Crutchfield was in fact right, since you had to modify it to fit and function 100%.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I suppose that depends on your point of view.

The first car stereo I installed was like 35 years ago - and I don't remember ever installing one where at least a little bit of modification was not needed. Crutchfield used to consider this when posting their "fit or doesn't fit" evaluations - and somewhere along the line they must have decided that if ANY modification at all was needed - then they consider it a "no fit".

I looked at the Crutchfield site before attempting to do this - and they don't appear to be considering this a "no fit" - because of the cutting. They portray it as a "no fit" - because the front panel won't fold out, but they recommend the Metra kit - and not the Scosche kit. And as a number of people in this thread have already noted - they also had problems with the fold-down front panel and the Metra kit.

I'd consider that a failure on Crutchfield's part for not taking that into account and accurately portraying the true fitment possiblities.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 4200nex and installed with no modification using the Scoche kit on Amazon.com. That kit works for various Chevy vehicles. Crutchfield was wrong if they say it doesnt fit.

calsdad

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Crutchfield specifies the Metra kit - which according to some of the previous posts on this thread, didn't allow the front panel to open.

Crutchfield is selling a service and promoting themselves as the experts in this stuff as far as fitment and all the details on getting a stereo installed, so when they say " it doesn't fit " when it obviously does if you use the correct adapter kit and do a little clearance work at the back of the dash opening - they're not really selling a very good service IMHO.

Crutchfield has been around for a long time - and I can remember using them to check fitment on previous vehicles I was considering installing aftermarket heat units into - and they would have info in there that cutting was required.

IMHO a little bit of cutting does not warrant a "does not fit" verdict.

"Does not fit" is when you're trying to install a double DIN head unit into the dashboard of a 1972 Chevelle or something like that. Or - like my 2006 Acura TL - the stereo/nav unit is so integrated into the dash that it's simply impossible to replace it with something else without doing extensive customization work.

calsdad

Reaction score
Oh yeah , the hidden bypass feature detailed in this video:

Seems to work perfectly. I was able to have the wife enter nav info while the vehicle was in motion when I took the truck out for a drive today.

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys running this on factory Bose speakers? What's the difference in sound quality and loudness on Bose factory speakers if that that's what your doing?.

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess they're a litte picky when it comes to modifications.

calsdad

Reaction score
Are you guys running this on factory Bose speakers? What's the difference in sound quality and loudness on Bose factory speakers if that that's what your doing?.

I still have the factory Bose speakers and amp. Honestly - I'm not sure if the sound is any different or not. I've got 52 year old ears - and I'm sure I'm partially deaf because of working in loud environments for so long. I also never used the CD on the factory radio (best source) .

I can say the Pioneer sounds pretty good to me, for whatever that is worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65