2022 Tahoe Navigation Screen Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbd2015LTZ

Reaction score
I have Google Fi phone service which gives you data only sim cards. I then installed a router in the center console. The data just comes off of my normal phone plan so it isn't really any extra. Everything works A+ and my Tahoe is always connected to the router.View attachment 361000
I'm curious as to what this setup gives you- does the Google Maps work now, or is this just to provide wifi to your occupants rather than paying for Onstar Data?

gryhnd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i never bought a data plan, and wireless carplay still works.
Same here, my data plan expired and Android Auto still works.

It goes one step further though, as the infotainment system's Google Assistant/Voice Recognition feature won't work now and only functions through AA or setting your phone up as a hotspot. Messages also can't be read.

The 1st pic attached is the notification I received after asking the system to "call home" without a data plan and AA not connected. The 2nd and 3rd pics are the notifications one gets without a data plan even if AA or a hotspot is connected. Also the Speed Sign Display requires a data plan.

From the 2022 Yukon manual, page 166, “... However, not all features within these areas are supported by voice commands and requires the user to have a data subscription in order to use the Google Assistant feature.”

Attachments

• 1. to do that you will need a data plan.jpg
    1. to do that you will need a data plan.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2. Home screen with out a GMC Data Plan.jpg
    2. Home screen with out a GMC Data Plan.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 3. Infortainment Maps App with WIFI connection.jpg
    3. Infortainment Maps App with WIFI connection.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 19

Cryptocap

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what this setup gives you- does the Google Maps work now, or is this just to provide wifi to your occupants rather than paying for Onstar Data?
Yes, with a router that setup would give full functionality to the built in google maps. See this other thread: Data plan not required for google maps
Same here, my data plan expired and Android Auto still works.

It goes one step further though, as the infotainment system's Google Assistant/Voice Recognition feature won't work now and only functions through AA or setting your phone up as a hotspot. Messages also can't be read.

The 1st pic attached is the notification I received after asking the system to "call home" without a data plan and AA not connected. The 2nd and 3rd pics are the notifications one gets without a data plan even if AA or a hotspot is connected. Also the Speed Sign Display requires a data plan.

From the 2022 Yukon manual, page 166, “... However, not all features within these areas are supported by voice commands and requires the user to have a data subscription in order to use the Google Assistant feature.”
Google support gives a little bit more details on it, but your google assistant should work with a hotspot. Check out the thread above as well. With an android you could use tasker to automate your hotspot. @Shrubs2K2 has this setup and mentioned a YouTube video for the program.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Google Fi phone service which gives you data only sim cards. I then installed a router in the center console. The data just comes off of my normal phone plan so it isn't really any extra. Everything works A+ and my Tahoe is always connected to the router.View attachment 361000
What is the exact name of this router please? Like that setup