Key Fob problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dalt10

Reaction score
I have a2002 Yukon. I've been messing with my key fob working off and on for the last year or so. It would randomly work but not very often. I would try it at different times just to see if they would work. 99.9% of the time they did not work. I have not gone to a lock smith yet for the issue. I had a post a while back on this. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/key-fob-keyless-entry-module.138234/
Today I decided to read as much as I could online to figure it out. Key fobs don't work and do not program. New ones, old ones, old battery or new battery. Today I went out and after a few tries one of the key fobs did program. I just happened to be holding the key fob with my hands on top of the steering column when I tried to program it when it worked. (i have been holding the fob away from the dash just sitting in the truck). But the issue is you have to hold the fob within 2 or 3 inches (crazy but I measured it) from the Dash panel (Speedo-gauges) for the fob to work. If you go 3-4 inches or farther away it does not work.
I am assuming it's the RKE module does not read the fob when its farther away from the gauges (RKE should be behind the gauges). Has anybody replaced the RKE module before? I assume I would have to get one that goes to my specific vehicle. I think I remember something about there are numbers on the module that you have to go by. Once one is put in can you just reprogram the fobs or does the module have to be programed after you install it?
Thank for any info anybody has.

Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with my boost auto 2018 style key fob it unlocks my truck from a much farther distance the the original and I like how the new fob clicks when you hit the button so you know it worked. My old fob eventually bit the dust and same thing happened with the fob for my Silverado. I need to get another fob but until then I was able to program that boost auto key fob so that it works on both my Tahoe and Silverado I think it was like 40-60$ I have a 07 though and I think programming them is much easier on these body styles. Might be something to look into though depending on how much that module thing is because it might just be the fob that’s bad

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today, my '05 Yukon OEM key fob..... It took a few 'firm' presses to work....
Maybe the battery is low? Don't know, but I'll change the battery..
Will I have to re-program the fob after changing the battery?
( probably not? )

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did changing the battery help or are your remote buttons worn out?..hoping it being the easy fix...

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter72

Latest posts