I installed a avic-8200nex with idatalink gm5 but cant get calls to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just the opening that needs to be trimmed?

I haven't yet. I never understood crutchfields position on why it wouldn't fit. They said it was because the screen pivots down and out but when I explained that my factory nav does that already they just said we'll try it then. Kind of poor service but oh well. From reading though it just seems like light sanding of the dash kit allows everything to work just fine. I hope to have it installed soon. I am trying to figure out which double din kit looks and fits the best. Seems like there are great and horrible reviews of every kit out there. Lol

calsdad

Reaction score
Crotchfield lists the Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX & the AVIC-6200NEX as fitting my 2010 Yukon XL - which should mean they will fit all the GMT900 trucks with the center dash console. I cross referenced the dimensions of the head units for the 5200, the 6200 and the 8200 - and they're all the same except for the fold out front panel on the 8200 and the 8200 also needs 3/4" clearance in the back vs the other two which need 3/8".

From what I read earlier in this thread - it seems like a couple of people have gotten the 8200 to fit - so is Crutchfield maybe operating under a "if it doesn't just slide right in with no mods - then it doesn't fit" set of rules?

If all I have to do is sand down the edge on the front of the Scosche mounting bezel and maybe do a little cutting on the back for clearances - I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't yet taken the dash apart - so I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can ahead of time so I can hopefully get the install all done in one shot.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crotchfield lists the Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX & the AVIC-6200NEX as fitting my 2010 Yukon XL - which should mean they will fit all the GMT900 trucks with the center dash console. I cross referenced the dimensions of the head units for the 5200, the 6200 and the 8200 - and they're all the same except for the fold out front panel on the 8200 and the 8200 also needs 3/4" clearance in the back vs the other two which need 3/8".

From what I read earlier in this thread - it seems like a couple of people have gotten the 8200 to fit - so is Crutchfield maybe operating under a "if it doesn't just slide right in with no mods - then it doesn't fit" set of rules?

If all I have to do is sand down the edge on the front of the Scosche mounting bezel and maybe do a little cutting on the back for clearances - I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't yet taken the dash apart - so I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can ahead of time so I can hopefully get the install all done in one shot.

Is it just the opening that needs to be trimmed?
Its in this thread somewhere what needs to be trimmed. I havnt had time to pull mine out to take my dremel to it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Scoche brand doesnt need any modification from what I read. It can be ordered online.

sabasigh

Reaction score
Correct, I replaced the metra mount kit from crutchfield with the scosche unit and faceplate has perfect clearance for lowering and removing.

OP
OP
bacin87

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesnt technically fit. I have to grab the bottom lip of the screen to get it to slide down and push it to get it to go back up.

Someone said the kit can be trimmed so that it moves smoothly.

I dont open it much bc I use the 128gb sd card for movies and inuse my usb for music and Android/Apple auto, so that does not phase me.

i didn't have to trim my kit or force the radio closed. there is a small plastic lip on the back wall of the radio bay, you should see an opening in the back of the bay and plastic lip in the middle. the wire harness, hdmi and usb cable pushes up against the plastic lip if you remove the plastic lip the harness can sit in the opening and the radio will sit flush. I did this and my radio is flush and opens with ease. I also used a Scosche Dash Kit for 2006 - Up Chevy Impala / Tahoe mount bout from amazon. I linked it for convince.

calsdad

Reaction score
Correct, I replaced the metra mount kit from crutchfield with the scosche unit and faceplate has perfect clearance for lowering and removing.

Excellent - thanks for the info. I'll be getting the Scosche mount kit then.

grmarco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have any of you guys had any issue with the rear ent. (flip down) and using the dual zone...The guys at "Buy Best" say I can't use the dual zone without headphones. What I want to do, and think I can, is set the front to play music and let the kids have a DVD in and have audio in the back. It does work at this point but only with the infrared headphones....So I am a bit confused. I cannont get it to play through the 'rear speakers only' when it comes to a disc. But if I put the DVD on and the change the front zone to sirius or radio or whatever, the sound will come out through the heaphones. I think they did not wire it correctly or have a set of RCA's mixed up...what do you think?

I have a 2010 LTZ with the Premium Bose, rear seat flip down, and they put in a Pioneer 4200 NEX head unit (only upgrade to the system) with the Meastro RR and GM5+. I also do not get engine codes or any 'HVAC' screens. Only the Guages, and battery voltage. Does this sound right?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tony

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys had any issue with the rear ent. (flip down) and using the dual zone...The guys at "Buy Best" say I can't use the dual zone without headphones. What I want to do, and think I can, is set the front to play music and let the kids have a DVD in and have audio in the back. It does work at this point but only with the infrared headphones....So I am a bit confused. I cannont get it to play through the 'rear speakers only' when it comes to a disc. But if I put the DVD on and the change the front zone to sirius or radio or whatever, the sound will come out through the heaphones. I think they did not wire it correctly or have a set of RCA's mixed up...what do you think?

I have a 2010 LTZ with the Premium Bose, rear seat flip down, and they put in a Pioneer 4200 NEX head unit (only upgrade to the system) with the Meastro RR and GM5+. I also do not get engine codes or any 'HVAC' screens. Only the Guages, and battery voltage. Does this sound right?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tony
Idk of it will only play through thr rear speakers. I know it has a headphone out for rear audio and i hooked that up to my flip down for the ir headphones. When i play it through the radio, it comes through all speakers. I use the rear selection when i want to listen to something else while he has his headphones on.

I wished the rear selection worked at the same time as andriod auto

calsdad

Reaction score
So I finally had the time to get the AVIC-8200NEX installed into my 2010 Yukon this weekend. With the help from a few videos I found on Youtube (mostly around how to get the trim apart) - it was pretty straightforward. I took my time and got interrupted a few times but overall no big problems.

I decided to solder up the connections from the Pioneer 8200 harness to the iDataLink Maestro harness just so they'd be solid - and I didn't a soldering wand so I had to run out and get that.

There were just a few small issues I ran into. The first one was that the head unit obviously wasn't going to fit into the dash with enough space for the wires to fit in. After playing around with it a little - I figured that if I cut out some of the plastic at the back of the opening where the head unit goes in - it would probably have enough space to fit. I managed to cut away one side with a pair of wire cutters - and then I used a box-cutter to slot the plastic enough that I could bend it back and forth to break it off.

With that piece taken out - the head unit would sit flush against the front of the opening when it's mounted in the Scosche Dash Kit adapter.

I know some of the earlier posts here said their front panel would not open - but after getting the whole thing mounted up - I found that the front panel opens up with no issues at all on my unit with it mounted in the Scosche. There's a little bit of extra space top and bottom using the Scosche adapter - so I think if the front panel was sticking at all - I could likely adjust it and get it so the panel had enough clearance to open.

The clearance for getting the bundle of wires coming from the Maestro RR is still a bit tight - but I managed to get them all in there and I don't think anything is pinched.

Right now - everything is just sort of hanging under the dash for now. Once I get everything hooked up - I wanted to check the unit out and make sure it all was working properly. It appears to be mostly working - I found that the steering wheel controls and the gauge functionality - is not working at all.

I guess I've got to pull the thing out again tomorrow and see what the deal is with that. I'm wondering if I hooked something up wrong. It was sort of unclear to me which port I was supposed to plug the "D" audio cable into on the back of the Pioneer 8200 , and also the "H" Data Cable - first didn't really want to go into the plug on the Maestro module all that well - and then didn't seem to want to go into the plug on the back of the Pioneer head unit nicely either.

I'm wondering if one those two cables isn't plugged in correctly. The plug on the Maestro module for the Data cable actually looked like it might have been a little screwed up right out of the box.