I installed a avic-8200nex with idatalink gm5 but cant get calls to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calsdad

Reaction score
I guess they're a litte picky when it comes to modifications.

Saying "modified fit" for the Alpine makes sense - during the install some of the tabs need to be cut off the sides of the HVAC module and the switch module below it in order to get the Alpine faceplate to fit.

Redpaste

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
- I found that the steering wheel controls and the gauge functionality - is not working at all.

I guess I've got to pull the thing out again tomorrow and see what the deal is with that. I'm wondering if I hooked something up wrong. It was sort of unclear to me which port I was supposed to plug the "D" audio cable into on the back of the Pioneer 8200 , and also the "H" Data Cable - first didn't really want to go into the plug on the Maestro module all that well - and then didn't seem to want to go into the plug on the back of the Pioneer head unit nicely either.

I'm wondering if one those two cables isn't plugged in correctly. The plug on the Maestro module for the Data cable actually looked like it might have been a little screwed up right out of the box.

Were you able to fix this issue yet?

calsdad

Reaction score
Were you able to fix this issue yet?

Yes. I pulled the head unit out the next day - and found that the black datalink cable coming from the Maestro to the back of the Pioneer - was disconnected. I think I might not have fully seated it when I originally installed the head unit - so when I pushed the head unit into the dash it popped out.

I have to say : I think the Maestro module could have been designed a little better - having cables coming out of two sides of the thing make it hard to have a nice clean install under the dash.

Redpaste

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. I pulled the head unit out the next day - and found that the black datalink cable coming from the Maestro to the back of the Pioneer - was disconnected. I think I might not have fully seated it when I originally installed the head unit - so when I pushed the head unit into the dash it popped out.

I have to say : I think the Maestro module could have been designed a little better - having cables coming out of two sides of the thing make it hard to have a nice clean install under the dash.

Thanks for the update. Couple questions though. Did you install a rear camera as well? If so, are you able to view it even when not in reverse? I know the head unit has an allocated button for it but wanted to know if it's only functional in reverse.

calsdad

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Couple questions though. Did you install a rear camera as well? If so, are you able to view it even when not in reverse? I know the head unit has an allocated button for it but wanted to know if it's only functional in reverse.

My truck has the factory rear camera - which shows in a small screen in the rearview mirror when I put it into reverse.

At the moment - that setup is still working. What happens when I put the truck into reverse is that I get the cam view of the rear camera in the rearview mirror still - and - the Pioneer gets triggered that the truck is in reverse and shows up the backing "lineup" lines on the screen - but I get no visual.

I remember reading somewhere that the video feed for the rearview camera can be accessed behind the kick panel on the passenger side front footwell. So I think what I need to do - is get in there and extend the video feed over to the Pioneer - and then it will work.

I have a longer term plan though. I want to add a "trailer cam" -which will be a high mounted camera so I can watch any loads I'm carrying when I'm towing a trailer. I think what I want to do is surface that thru the video screen that's embedded into the rearview mirror. Then I'll surface the backup cam on the Pioneer screen - and I also want to add a front facing camera too - and surface that on the Pioneer screen.

That's the next phase of the project - for now I think I'm just going to leave the factory camera feeding the rearview mirror.

Redpaste

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Saying "modified fit" for the Alpine makes sense - during the install some of the tabs need to be cut off the sides of the HVAC module and the switch module below it in order to get the Alpine faceplate to fit.

Just did this install with the sosche faceplate and the 8200 with the maestro, it does fit with simply cutting the back plastic bracket. Also by cutting the back plastic bracket gives you a bit more room to stuff the Maestro and the wiring harness.

Calsdad, did you end up using the small round black speaker (think it is the chime bell). I didn't use it, noticed the truck still chimes when the door is open. Don't know if I'm missing out on anything else if I don't use it.

Also, where did you stick the GPS antennae? Sorry for the questions but thanks in advance.

calsdad

Reaction score
Just did this install with the sosche faceplate and the 8200 with the maestro, it does fit with simply cutting the back plastic bracket. Also by cutting the back plastic bracket gives you a bit more room to stuff the Maestro and the wiring harness.

Calsdad, did you end up using the small round black speaker (think it is the chime bell). I didn't use it, noticed the truck still chimes when the door is open. Don't know if I'm missing out on anything else if I don't use it.

Also, where did you stick the GPS antennae? Sorry for the questions but thanks in advance.

I did use the small round black speaker that came with the Maestro kit. I ended up using the sticky pad that comes with it to adhere it under the dash around the console. I didn't try not using it , I guess I thought I had to - to get the chimes to work. Mostly what it seems to work for is the turn signal - I never noticed the door chimes, but I guess I don't pay much attention to that.

I ended up watching a video on Youtube about how to install the Alpine X009 - and they showed where to put the GPS antenna. The front half of the top of the dashboard pops up - and once you do that there is a pocket underneath where I fitted the GPS antenna in and stuck it down. Then I had to thread the wire coming from the antenna along the defroster vent - and then down to the console where the AVIC is installed.

If you watch this video:

at about the 3:40 mark it shows the guy peeling up the front part of the dash. I ended up using one of those plastic dash trim removal tools to pop it up and then went along the length of the thing releasing the clips that hold it in. I had to also remove the driver's side A-pillar trim piece to be able to pop up that dash piece far enough to get under it and install the antenna and run the cable.

Redpaste

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and video link. I was hoping that I didn't have to remove the head unit again to mount the GPS antennae, but oh well. Yeah I don't even think my black speaker did anything so it's not hooked up. I'm hoping to install the backup camera on Sunday, got a license plate one that you can switch views on.

Thanks again for all the help!

calsdad

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and video link. I was hoping that I didn't have to remove the head unit again to mount the GPS antennae, but oh well. Yeah I don't even think my black speaker did anything so it's not hooked up. I'm hoping to install the backup camera on Sunday, got a license plate one that you can switch views on.

Thanks again for all the help!

No problem. I still have to get my backup camera attached to the Pioneer. Right now it's still surfacing in the rearview mirror

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
I installed a 4200nex in my 08 w/Bose and navi and backup camera but I can't get the camera to display on the screen. How did you guys get the stock backup camera to work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins