ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the G-codes:

View attachment 346321

I believe that the last year for the Nivomat technology (G65) was 2006. I might be wrong but it wasn't too long after that.
Thanks flees. I did some more research and per my RPO codes I have the base rear springs(YD6) and base front springs(YD5) with the premium smooth ride suspension (ZW7). So the shock part number 22755311 and strut part number 20955487 that I have installed seems to be the correct parts for my application. The rear does not sag. It is actually about 2 inches taller so I don't think it's a spring sag or wrong spring problem. It rides smooth on good pavement and smaller bumps. It's harsh over relatively large potholes on the highway which I guess it probably would be. I think my biggest complaint is the premium smooth ride expression is a little miss leading. I feel like it rides more like a work truck haha. I guess if I wanted a true premium smooth ride I should look into the Cadillac variant. Overall it's not terrible just not what I was expecting. Otherwise it's the first american vehicle I have owned and it has been great. In the past I have had Honda, Toyota, Porsche and BMW. I really like the ease of working on this vehicle.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the Nivomats G69 or G65?

I checked my build sheet, and I have Z55 and G69 but not ZW7.

I know I need shocks, but if I need Nivomats, that changes things a bit, doesn't it?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I know I need shocks, but if I need Nivomats, that changes things a bit, doesn't it?

Nivomats are self-leveling, G65, which you don't have. Your G69 code indicates an air system; do you have a compressor? And I would think that your shocks would have air lines to them and rubber bladders. Nivomats have no electronic or air connections.

Got a pic of one of your shocks?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just very harsh over larger bumps. Otherwise smooth and most pavement.
Did you replace your jounce bumpers? All of them, even the ones inside the struts?

We finished replacing our rear shocks and struts last night and the ride was noticeably improved. We also replaced the upper and lower insulators on the coils, front and rear too.

ZW7 has the nivomat shocks in the rear and a softer spring. Do you also have the G69 rpo code? I’m betting you replaced the rears with regular shocks and didn’t upgrade the springs at the same time and that’s why it rides like crap. I did the same thing and my problems were resolved with the installation of some Z71 springs from moog.

That was a GMT800 set up. No Nivomats on GMT900.

No Nivomats for you, just rear air shocks and maybe a compressor overhaul.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace your jounce bumpers? All of them, even the ones inside the struts?

We finished replacing our rear shocks and struts last night and the ride was noticeably improved. We also replaced the upper and lower insulators on the coils, front and rear too.
I did not replace the bump stops. I probably should have though. They seemed to be in good shape and still rubbery/soft.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not replace the bump stops. I probably should have though. They seemed to be in good shape and still rubbery/soft.
Ok, did you replace the upper and lower insulators front and back? All of these things contribute to the ride being soft or harsh.

The only other thing I can think of at present is that the wheel and tire size (not the actual tires you have) was sized on our GMT900s for the Z71 off-road suspensions and do not ride as soft as say the 265-70-17s because their sidewalls are about 5/8" an inch less or so.

How about the control arm bushings and ball joints front and rear?

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, did you replace the upper and lower insulators front and back? All of these things contribute to the ride being soft or harsh.

The only other thing I can think of at present is that the wheel and tire size (not the actual tires you have) was sized on our GMT900s for the Z71 off-road suspensions and do not ride as soft as say the 265-70-17s because their sidewalls are about 5/8" an inch less or so.

How about the control arm bushings and ball joints front and rear?
No I did not replace the insulators or the control arm bushings or ball joints. Everything seemed to be in good shape. Rubber looked good with no cracks and ball joints were tight with no slop.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines is an 07 I had nivomats
Well, that's a first for me. Never seen one with Nivomats. So you have RPOs ZW7 and G65?
No I did not replace the insulators or the control arm bushings or ball joints. Everything seemed to be in good shape. Rubber looked good with no cracks and ball joints were tight with no slop.
How do you test the ball joints without a dial indicator? The failure is half to one millimeter of movement. Well, they're probably not bad or contributing to the harsh ride but I bet those other parts might be.

Where is everybody else? There's guys on here who have forgotten more about suspensions than I'll ever know.

@Bigkevschopshop @Doubeleive @gooffeyguy @91RS

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a first for me. Never seen one with Nivomats. So you have RPOs ZW7 and G65?

How do you test the ball joints without a dial indicator? The failure is half to one millimeter of movement. Well, they're probably not bad or contributing to the harsh ride but I bet those other parts might be.

Where is everybody else? There's guys on here who have forgotten more about suspensions than I'll ever know.

@Bigkevschopshop @Doubeleive @gooffeyguy @91RS
I didn't test the ball joints with a dial indicator. And frankly I never will lol. I will say that the front end takes bumps very well just the rear tends to be more harsh. Maybe due to more weight upfront than the rear? Like I said it feels like im driving a truck more than a large SUV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE