Zero oil pressure - is the damage done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV 155K AWD 6.0L Vortec Engine, no mods, all stock.

The truck was driven with zero oil pressure for a few minutes and started up a couple of times during subsequent diagnosis. I've asked my questions up front and put the detailed symptoms, event details, and background below. Thank you for any insight or advice anyone can give. Just trying to save money and plan next steps.

Question 1: If I have it towed to a reputable shop, what is the risk of them further damaging the engine by starting up the car to drive it into a bay, or starting their diagnosis steps from ground zero? How would a good shop go about their initial first steps to ensure they don't damage the engine beyond what it already suffered, or do most shops doing even think in those terms in this type of circumstance? Am I worrying about nothing here?

Question 2: What are the odds that this event has put the 155k engine past the point of it making sense to move forward with simply the oil pump replacement? Every write-up or video I've found about similar engines is about symptoms building over time and the owner recognizing it up front and nipping the problem in the bud after seeing the gauge bounce and hearing a few ticks. I haven't come across anyone that has had it fail outright and then accidentally driven on it for a few minutes. It seems like we won't have any real way of anticipating the viability of the engine until *after* this very expensive oil pump repair. I've having bad visions of replacing the oil pump for $1300 (at least that much since front diff needs to be dropped to drop the oil pan) and then having it throw a rod a week later.

Failure Event: Two days ago, my wife started it up in a parking lot and the low oil pressure alarm sounded. The wife ignored it for a few moments while she drove it across a busy parking lot, probably 3-4 minutes of stop and go driving before she realized the seriousness and parked it. I arrived, checked the oil that had about 4500 miles since the last change. I have a slight pan gasket or drain plug leak, so it was about a half quart low. I added a half quart and started it up for about 20 seconds. The engine was very loud, making various unusual noises, getting worse over the 20 seconds I ran it as the half quart made its way down to the pan. Obviously not a sensor or gauge problem, you could tell from the sound that the engine was not being lubricated. I had it towed home.

After I got it home I changed the oil and filter. Oil looked/smelled fine for used oil. I did not notice any metallic flakes or sludge or anything else weird about the oil itself. I started the truck up again for about 15 seconds to see if the oil change had any effect. Same super loud engine, same dry noises/ticks, almost sounded like a muffled exhaust leak coming from inside the engine if that makes any sense, just to give an idea of what the noise was like. No loud bangs, just not healthy sounding at all.

Background: I'm a DIYer and rarely bring my car to the shop unless expensive tools or major engine repair is needed, so as a result I don't have a trusted mechanic/shop. This car has run without any engine issues of any consequence for the last two years since purchased, during which I've put about 35K miles on it. Light to medium towing in the summer. I've always changed the oil around 5K miles with Mobile 1 full synthetic. Recently diagnosed/fixed an intermittent CEL with conflicting emission codes a few months ago. Turned out the K&N air filter was a little too wet and it ruined the MAF. That took me almost a year of driving and diagnosis to finally find the culprit since the CEL was so intermittent. I think this is unrelated, but lately she has been just a little tiny bit underpowered but still running super smooth. I've driven several of these vehicles for the past 15 years and I'm pretty in tune with how these rigs feel when they are running optimal or sub-optimal. It just seemed a little more gas pedal was needed and there was a little more engine noise even at lower RPMs to get the same getup and go. I was planning after the holidays on replacing plugs/wires and checking compression as a first step to diagnose that before this event happened.

Thank you -

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year Chet! What was the unrelated CEL that was caused by the K&N?

I'm surprised that the motor protested so much without oil pressure being that you used synthetic oil. I've raced cars down the track without oil in them with no ill effects, Mobil One is what leaked out. I'm new to these LS engines though.

After having read your post, I think you can tackle this for far less money and if memory serves, without dropping the differential. It's probably that o-ring that failed. LQ9s aren't too expensive to do a swap. If it were my truck, I'd replace the oil pump and o-ring and fire it back up and see if any permanent damage was done. If there was, I'd put new rings and bearings and such in it.

OP
OP
D

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Happy New Year Chet! What was the unrelated CEL that was caused by the K&N?
I don't have the codes in front of me, but the codes indicated everything from vacuum leak to O2 sensors to fuel filter.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damage is done. It may not be fatal damage but at the very least the bearings are scuffed. Drive it until the engine gives out.

OP
OP
D

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never done it before, but I guess I'm going to dive in and replace the oil pump myself this weekend and see how it goes. I figure a couple days of labor and $200 in parts/tools is worth a shot. If there are are still any sounds or if pressure doesn't return I'll tow it to the shop and bite the bullet.

Sounds like the Melling high volume oil pump is the way to go there due to the high mileage.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommemd the Melling High Flow pump, I had it done on my 2003 2500HD at almost 300k miles. The truck is at 314k miles and strong as ever. It had been running on low oil pressure for about 10k miles, low at idle but not when driving. The new pump made a difference on this old truck.

There is no way to know how much damage has been done but expect the bearings to have suffered.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send the oil out for testing. It's the only way to be sure. I am dealing with low oil pressure right now. The oil test will tell you what's in the oil. You can pick up a test kit at a diesel dealer. It will include the mailing label

OP
OP
D

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Scott, I already had an oil test kit on the way - good advice.

I finished changing the oil pump, everything seems to be sounding/working good, except I think I have an oil leak now. Whew what a job. Probably the most technical repair I've ever done.

More than happy to diagnose an oil leak knowing the engine seems to be running smooth. Thanks for the help guys.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks Scott, I already had an oil test kit on the way - good advice.

I finished changing the oil pump, everything seems to be sounding/working good, except I think I have an oil leak now. Whew what a job. Probably the most technical repair I've ever done.

More than happy to diagnose an oil leak knowing the engine seems to be running smooth. Thanks for the help guys.

Nice work! That's a biggie.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@dreeveal sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that fixes it. I hope my problem isn't the same

Is there a good way to check oil pressure without the guage. When I bought my denali the guage was pegged at 80 so I figured the oil pressure sensor is bad but yesterday the guage started going back and forth from0 to 80 and the low oil pressure chime came on. Is my problem simply the oil pressure sending sensor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts