Z71 Wheels - Repair or Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Tahoe Z71 wheels are oxidizing along the edges at tire interface area (where weights were) but worst is one has a history of slow leaks. Now not so slow at 10 pounds in a week. It have been repaired once and the techie said he had to wire brush the corrosion out of the wheel's bead line. It lasted for a bit but based on the crud on the wheel edge it seems perhaps the is some seepage there again.

So is it a better route to get refinished, including the inside bead surface, or just go for a replica replacement?
Are replicas ok? Any particular brand or vendor?
Or perhaps look for take offs and pass these along to someone interested in cleaning them up themselves?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really like them refurbish them. That’s usually cheaper and you know their history. That said there are tons of these out there but hard to see in person.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really like them refurbish them. That’s usually cheaper and you know their history. That said there are tons of these out there but hard to see in person.

Yes I like them but I can't imagine that the refurbishing costs less that the $150 replica.
But that is approaching the new take offs pricing if I were to do four.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right. Have you done any looking in wrecking yards? I think refurbishing is less than $100 per wheel and they’re basically new

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Restore them. Most large cities have at least one shop that specializes in wheel repair and restoration. I'm sure you could also find replacements for cheap on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Restore them. Most large cities have at least one shop that specializes in wheel repair and restoration. I'm sure you could also find replacements for cheap on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

I'll have to look into it but might need one replacement to get the logistics to work. Can't be without the vehicle. Facebook marketplace sellers think they have gold. Been watching for a while.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll have to do a little research. The Z71 wheels appeared to have changed in 2015 with the new generation. They are wider and less backset.