z71 springs or Bilstein Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Following up on my post...

I ended up getting the Z71 springs from Rock auto and the bilsteins from shockwarehouse. They were able to cancel the bilstein springs.

Got about 1.5" lift from the springs, cranked my stock keys and still down about 3/4" in the front. I can live with it for now. Still running stock tires so I don't need clearance until I get new tires. Then I'll look at swapping keys and maybe adding a small spacer.

The ride with these new shocks is night and day.. One of the rear shocks will not compress at all. I put all of my 235lbs on it and it wouldn't budge. The other one compressed and rebounded all day long. I think the 'blown shock' diagnosis was correct :)

Thanks everyone for the help!

cfleek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Following up on my post...

I ended up getting the Z71 springs from Rock auto and the bilsteins from shockwarehouse. They were able to cancel the bilstein springs.

Got about 1.5" lift from the springs, cranked my stock keys and still down about 3/4" in the front. I can live with it for now. Still running stock tires so I don't need clearance until I get new tires. Then I'll look at swapping keys and maybe adding a small spacer.

The ride with these new shocks is night and day.. One of the rear shocks will not compress at all. I put all of my 235lbs on it and it wouldn't budge. The other one compressed and rebounded all day long. I think the 'blown shock' diagnosis was correct :)

Thanks everyone for the help!
Adam, it's been a while since you posted this but I find myself in a similar situation. I have a stock 2001 Yukon 2500 XL. Autoride shocks are worn so I ordered some 4600 Bilsteins to replace. By the looks of your post I need to swap the springs as well. Are there springs in the front as well, or just the rear? How did you disable the Autoride feature? Would love to know if you have run into any issues since doing this swap? My Yukon has leaf springs in the back and no springs in the front.

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
You have 2500 rear leafs so you don't swap any springs. Remove the auto ride and get 5100 shocks. Pull compressor fuse under hood and drive.

cfleek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have 2500 rear leafs so you don't swap any springs. Remove the auto ride and get 5100 shocks. Pull compressor fuse under hood and drive.
Thank you,
I swapped out the shocks this weekend but the computer is giving me an error of course. It was expected. I need to pull the Body Control Module out to have it re-programmed. Does anyone know where to find it on the 2500HD? I looked under the center console but it wasn't there. Did find an old mouse nest though.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Did you pull fuse under hood for compressor? Also BCM is under driver dash behind steering wheel

cfleek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you pull fuse under hood for compressor? Also BCM is under driver dash behind steering wheel
Found It! Mine doesn't have a compressor, just electronic shocks. The error light didn't come on right away but it on today. Once I found it I was able to get the exact part number I need and then found one on ebay. When this arrives I'll send it to westersgarage.com and have it reprogrammed leaving out the Z55 code. This "should" remove the error.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yeah when its reprogrammed without that code it should not look for it. Let us know how it works out for you! I will end up deleting my autoride stuff and going to normal shocks planning on reprogram the BCM if possible.

cfleek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah when its reprogrammed without that code it should not look for it. Let us know how it works out for you! I will end up deleting my autoride stuff and going to normal shocks planning on reprogram the BCM if possible.
I will certainly post how it goes. It will be at least a couple of weeks it not more as I have to wait for the replacement to arrive and then be shipped to Canada.

cfleek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Well, I finally got my BCM back from Wester's in Canada. I swapped out the BCM with the original and for a split second I thought all would be well. Unfortunately with the replacement BCM installed when I cranked the engine over it kicked like it was going to start and then didn't. I put the original in a it fired back up. Re-installed the replacement and tried again, no go. :-( So far I have about $225 invested in this so I really hope Wester's can figure out what went wrong. I have a feeling that I'll be shipping the replacement BCM back to Canada. Last time I sent it, it cost me $50!! That was priority mail. If it goes back then it's going as cheap as possible, no matter how long it will take. My guess is that at this point they probably didn't remember me telling them that this was a replacement BCM and not my original and probably didn't put in the correct VIN or something. It's just a guess. I'll let you know what they say. With my original BCM installed everything works as expected. You just have this blaring message to service the autoride. I can live with that for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88