z71 springs or Bilstein Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting rid of the air-ride Autoride stuff on my 01 tahoe. Compressor is making all kinds of racket and the right rear shock looks like it's blown. I already have bilstein 5100's up front, and have the rears on order.

Since the autoride springs don't work without the shocks, I ordered the bilsein 199021 springs to replace the autoride springs, but they are still backordered.

I found Z71 springs on ebay for basically the same money:
Ebay Link

Does anybody know the difference in ride height/stiffness between the Z71 and Bilsteins?

I'm taking this one step at a time. Getting the suspension riding nice (get rid of annoying rattles and harsh ride) and then I'll do keys and spacers, and then (hopefully similar timing) probably put on some 285's. So I'm not afraid of spring height. I do put a decent amount of gear in the back and tow a loaded utility trailer quite often.

Thanks in advance!! I can't wait to smooth out the ride. This thing rides like a tank right now.

-Adam-

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Bilstein springs, but I have Z71 springs and they give you +2" in the rear. They do ride a little more stiff over stock replacement springs tool. I'm not sure if you are wanting to lift your truck or not. If so you would need some +2" keys for the front to make it look right with the rear. If you are just wanting to go with stock height springs the Bilsteins would probably be what you want.

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
If you go with the Z71 springs, that is a good price. I just paid $46 just to ship a pair of springs UPS ground - sounds like for $70 these could be delivered to your door. Let me know if you decide on Z71 springs and dont find any readily available - I have a used set in my garage off my '07 I'd let go fairly reasonably.

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Bilstein springs, but I have Z71 springs and they give you +2" in the rear. They do ride a little more stiff over stock replacement springs tool. I'm not sure if you are wanting to lift your truck or not. If so you would need some +2" keys for the front to make it look right with the rear. If you are just wanting to go with stock height springs the Bilsteins would probably be what you want.

i guess I didnt' realize they gave that much. I am planning to lift it... So this might save a little $$ on the rear blocks. I think I would rather have the lift be in the springs rather than block anyway. I would just need the keys and can level from where the rear ends up sitting.

Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

If you go with the Z71 springs, that is a good price. I just paid $46 just to ship a pair of springs UPS ground - sounds like for $70 these could be delivered to your door. Let me know if you decide on Z71 springs and dont find any readily available - I have a used set in my garage off my '07 I'd let go fairly reasonably.

That ebay ad has a good number of them, and I'll be ordering this next week, so I should be good. The bilsteins from Shockwarehouse are $35 a piece, free shipping, so same price shipped. Main difference is that the bilsteins are still not available...

thanks for the offer on the springs.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're planning on lifting it anyway, I'd agree that the Z71 springs are probably the way to go. Great price, too - I'd scoop them up, provided you don't mind a little bit of increased spring rate. They will be stiffer than OEM/Bilstein...but that being said, if you're running a blown shock in the rear then throwing the new shocks/springs on will make a night and day difference in ride quality. I think you'll be pleased.

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are the springs the same between the 07+ and the 00-06's?

I was under the impression they were interchangeable, but hadn't noticed that the eBay springs were from an 07. Anybody else know? I'll try to do some more research on that one. If they don't fit my 01, I could always slip them on the wife's 07 LT burb. See if she notices ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just go to Rockauto.com search MOOG Part # 81069 They are just under $70 shipped for the pair.

Good find.

Are those the stock springs or Z71 springs?

Still leaning toward the Z71 since I know I want to be lifted.

This does answer the other question about fitment. Looks like 2000-2010 are all included.

[From description of above mentioned springs on Rock-Auto site]
CHEVROLET AVALANCHE (2007 - 2010)
CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 1500 (2002 - 2006)
CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 2500 (2002 - 2006)
CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 1500 (2000 - 2010)
CHEVROLET TAHOE (2000 - 2010)
GMC YUKON (2000 - 2010)
GMC YUKON DENALI XL (2001 - 2004)
GMC YUKON XL 1500 (2000 - 2010)
GMC YUKON XL 2500 (2000 - 2006)

Interesting though, I thought all of the 2500 burbs had leafs in the rear? My 2003 K2500 did...

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Good find.

Are those the stock springs or Z71 springs?

Answering my own question. That part number is the moog Z71 spring. Pricing it out, with the current 5% off rock auto coupon code (google rock auto coupon code, they always have one..) it's actually only $62.90 shipped to me (Denver area). Looks like I'll be going the Rock Auto route.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts