Yukon Denali XL Manual Airbag Install Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

satsow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I've rhave the 2013 Yukon Denali XL and read many threads on deleting the autoride & converting to aftermarket struts and manual airbags but I don't find a lot of info on the manual airbag installation & use of the stock compressor. If anyone can share your experience or provide some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

I intend to change all 4 struts to the Bilstein 5100s and maintain the original springs. As I do some light towing, I am thinking of adding the coil-rite airbag from Firestone on the rear to avoid the sag when towing. My questions are :

1. Can 1 still use the original compressor to inflate the airbags?
2. Will the self leveling sensor still work and auto inflate the bags or will I have to install a manual switch?

Has anyone have this set up ? Thanks.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am watching this thread too..
I'd like to add "helper" airbags to my rear coil springs for towing;
I have the Z55 code suspension with the Air Shocks & leveling.. 2014 XL Denali

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could probably use the compressor with a complete rewire, figure out how to connect the different size hoses and add some sort of switch but you’ll have to leave out the suspension computer and ride height sensors. It’s not really worth it, it would be easier to keep a portable compressor onboard to use if you’ll be adjusting air a lot or just use a compressor at home or gas station for occasional use.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could probably use the compressor with a complete rewire, figure out how to connect the different size hoses and add some sort of switch but you’ll have to leave out the suspension computer and ride height sensors. It’s not really worth it, it would be easier to keep a portable compressor onboard to use if you’ll be adjusting air a lot or just use a compressor at home or gas station for occasional use.

I'm with @Rocket Man on this. Don't reinvent the wheel when you don't have to. By the time you get done piecing stuff together, you will have spent a lot of time and have a possible headache on your hands. They make systems just for this purpose that don't cost much money. As mentioned, you can set-up your system so all you need to due is hook a portable air compressor or gas station air chuck up and inflate your bags. If you want something a little more advanced Air-Lift sells an on board kit that isn't that expensive and will be more than sufficient.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-...5Fu6vbVAbTW9ZxrC0LPiOOLCLpwnF0ukaAtFZEALw_wcB

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my set up, I'm looking at just adding this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60769
It's just the helper airbags that go inside the coil spring. I want
to keep the Z55 factory air shocks and sensors for normal driving, but when
I hook up my camper just (manually) add air to the air lift bags to "Help" out my air shocks and suspension... It seems as though my factory pump runs quite a bit when the camper is hooked up - way more than without a
trailer loaded on it.
BTW, I did install the Timbren Suspension Enhancement part... It just replaces the jounce bumper when bottoming out... It really has done nothing for me.. I think it would IF i'm actually bottoming out... but I'm not.. Just sagging more than I'm comfortable with

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my set up, I'm looking at just adding this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60769
It's just the helper airbags that go inside the coil spring. I want
to keep the Z55 factory air shocks and sensors for normal driving, but when
I hook up my camper just (manually) add air to the air lift bags to "Help" out my air shocks and suspension... It seems as though my factory pump runs quite a bit when the camper is hooked up - way more than without a
trailer loaded on it.
BTW, I did install the Timbren Suspension Enhancement part... It just replaces the jounce bumper when bottoming out... It really has done nothing for me.. I think it would IF i'm actually bottoming out... but I'm not.. Just sagging more than I'm comfortable with
You shouldn’t use helper bags in conjunction with the factory self leveling system, nor should you have to if your system is working correctly. How much tongue weight does your camper have?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about 750 tongue weight.. 8500 Total weight...
I use the Equalizer weight distribution hitch system
Yes, I'm a little over on total weight.. That's why (maybe) the
I'd like to give the Air Shock System just a little "help"

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about 750 tongue weight.. 8500 Total weight...
I use the Equalizer weight distribution hitch system
Yes, I'm a little over on total weight.. That's why (maybe) the
I'd like to give the Air Shock System just a little "help"
You’re quite a ways over the max towing capacity of 7800. It’s not just the suspension that you’re going to have issues with, but your braking system, drivetrain, steering, etc. IMO that’s not a safe situation. You should be pulling that with a heavier rig. But I suspect you’re aware of that.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've got the bigger brakes, etc etc going on this week.
I used to tow this camper with my 94 C1500 - very beefed up of course.
I really needed something heavier in Front of the camper more than anything else.. It's designed to be 1/2 ton towable...
And I needed more interior room too !! So this IS the new tow vehicle.
I tried to look for a Yukon XL 2500, but they are SO rare. So I went with the
denali as the next best thing. It's got all the factory tow stuff..
So, I will do what it takes to make this work!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll disagree with my friend Mark here and say the Air Lift Springs will be fine if you keep the air pressure down and let the compressor and shocks do most of the work. Numbers wise, I think you need more tongue weight, at least another 100 pounds.

There are lots of GMT900 2500s around where I live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne