Yukon Denali HID Problems??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HONKEY450

Reaction score
So I just bought a 2011 Yukon Denali about a month ago and last week I installed some bi-Xeon headlights. For some reason I can’t figure out why they are so intermittent on one side and sometimes at the same time. Today in installed a ani flicker harness and that didn’t help. I’m at my wits end and about to put the oem lights back in.

Help!!

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install HID bulbs into the stock headlamps?

OP
OP
H

HONKEY450

Reaction score
I replaced the headlamps because the oem ones were so yellow, but they look exactly like the factory lamps.

Thanks

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like you replaced the headlamps with new stock ones, and then installed HID bulbs into it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put in relays and wire them up directly to the battery, just use the headlight connector as a trigger and you wont have any more problems, the factory wiring sucks for HID's. I also recommend using waterproof relays or at least good ones like Hella

OP
OP
H

HONKEY450

Reaction score
put in relays and wire them up directly to the battery, just use the headlight connector as a trigger and you wont have any more problems, the factory wiring sucks for HID's. I also recommend using waterproof relays or at least good ones like Hella

Ok, thanks. My hid kit has a relay that came with it and it also is wired to the battery but still does it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. My hid kit has a relay that came with it and it also is wired to the battery but still does it.
ok, then try swapping the ballast from left to right and see if the problem follows the ballast or if the problem remains persistent on the one side this will tell you if it is a ballast or a bulb, ideally you should have 2 relays one for each side. Also double check your grounds

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did.

That's the reason why. You shouldn't be using HIDs in the stock housing. You're doing yourself a major disservice, not to mention blinding everyone on the road.

You need to do a proper retrofit. Read up on the stickied thread for more info.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Run a dedicated ground from a good hard point on the body to the ground of the HID set up on each side. That should remedy things. I run 1996 Infinity QX4 truck OEM ballasts. They’re overbuilt and perfect in our 2k VW projector headlights.

Yes, they can go from working perfect to disco strobe. Not sure why but the additional ground cure the issue. I stopped by the marine supply store and used marine grade connections on everything. They have a great heat shrink tubing that waterproofs it’s contents with adhesive when heated. Go big or go home on HID power connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14