You think your gauges are bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lefty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try watching this while you are driving around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaP9-DTZ6Y

It's not really that bad anymore, it's usually totally unresponsive with the bright red battery light showing.

I took the gauge pod out and took it apart, it seems to work okay as long as I keep some pressure on the circuit board, do I just need to replace this board? Is there something I can solder to fix this thing? Or should I just :gr_guns: it?

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The board is not getting sufficient pressure with the bolts to keep it operating correctly , tighten them down a little more ? without cracking the ayssmby of course

OP
OP
L

lefty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The board is not getting sufficient pressure with the bolts to keep it operating correctly , tighten them down a little more ? without cracking the ayssmby of course
Thing is, the circuit board itself isnt bolted in, it's just a pressure fit into the gauge pod.

The gauge pod itself is bolted in tight.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe find a way to keep better pressure on it ? like a spacer/ washer, Only thing with that is if that washer were to come loose during a drive and bounce around the circuit board arching all connections you REALLY will have a Xmas effect. I would just replace the whole cluster .

OP
OP
L

lefty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have tried about everything to make it work, and had zero success.

Found a salvage yard near me that will sell me a used gauge pod for $50, just waiting for one with lower mileage (all they have is 200k+ and I'm currently at 164k)

I learned today that one of the previous owners got tired of the airbag light, so instead of fixing the issue, they took the gauges apart and removed the bulb with a soldering iron... Wow.. thanks a lot there guy, whoever you are..

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why a constant air bag light? i have my old one with like 140 on the clock

OP
OP
L

lefty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure, guessing either a shorted wire under the passenger seat (from what I've read that is somewhat common) or else it was in a crash and who knows what was not repaired or replaced correctly..

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a broken trace on the board. Easily fixable with solder. The hard part is locating the broken trace. Btw, the dealer can reprogram any cluster to match your miles... for a pretty penny, of course.

OP
OP
L

lefty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a broken trace on the board. Easily fixable with solder. The hard part is locating the broken trace. Btw, the dealer can reprogram any cluster to match your miles... for a pretty penny, of course.

Yeah, I scoured that board with a 6x jewelers loupe, couldn't find anyplace that looked like I could fix it...

I called 3 dealerships, they all said that they could not reprogram an odometer once it's been programmed & used.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Show me the car fax !

I ran an AutoCheck, and it came back clean as a whistle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts