Getting rid of dead mouse smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who has gone through a bunch of old mice'd up jeeps; you haven't found all the dead ones yet :)

I'd suggest you drop a couple traps in your garage as a precaution. Sometimes when you buy a truck you get some free pets :)

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, got a nice '02 Z71 I found and bought.
Guy said it stinks a bit because a mouse died in it and he doesn't know where it is.
So I took it home and tracked the smell to the cargo area near the rear ac. Disassembled the AC, nothing.
Looked in the little rear frame pillar and found 3 dead baby mice in the bottom. Fished them out, searched the rest of the cargo area including headliner.
Can't find any more. Bleached it all, then coated it all with spray paint behind the panels, then spray foamed the inside pillars with spray foam, as well as void areas near the AC box.
Can't find any concentrated areas of the smell anymore.
Went and had the interior detailed, shampoo, and the guy bombed it for a full 15 hours with Ozone treatment he said.
All I could smell was ozone for a week. Lol
Now a few weeks later, the dead mouse smell is showing back up.
Sniffed around and can't find a source, and doesn't come from any vents.
Took front ac blower box apart, and replaced filter also, nothing.
Did a scent bomb and it went away for about 4 days, and now it's back. Wth?
It's like it's just in the air or something, there is no source or area that it is stronger.
Could it just be soaked into the carpet and headliner, or should that have came out with the shampoo?
Any ideas?
1. Park away from buildings
2. Carefully remove the spark plugs
3. Leave spark plug wires hang near metal shielding
4. Crank over motor
5. Let ensuing fire take care of the issue

I HATE MICE!!!..................except for the cute little fellas running in the field. FAR from my home, shop, and vehicles. LOL

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple days of an Ozone generator would likely take care of smell.
Old Suburban from long ago - I sealed all the vertical body parts, windshield to back doors, using heavy scotchbrite and foaming it in place. Same thing on front fenders where water drains cowl. Kept it going 2 more years in rustland.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
If there is still a dead one in there somewhere, I don't know where he is hiding. I would think he would mummify and dry out eventually. Maybe I'm smelling a piss-covered nest somewhere.
The only thing I haven't got to see yet is the headliner right around the sunroof. I'm not sure how hard it is to drop that part down. When it warms up a little bit in a few days I'll probably look into it.

At the moment I've used some ozone spray, and some scent things and you can't really smell it except occasionally when you first get in. Very faint. But I probably need to find it, because summertime might make it a different story.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
The tray where the sunroof retracts could be housing the mouse nest.

I just went through a mouse exorcism on mine when they decided that the hood insulation made great nesting material. The decon poison didn't work, so I set conventional mouse traps on the spare battery tray and caught two bandits in one weekend.

Previously, mice had made a home in my Buick's glovebox. I finally located that nest under the back seat. Same thing: The poison blocks weren't effective, so after cleaning out the nest and scrubbing all traces of the mice, I set conventional traps and caught 2 that were still hiding elsewhere in the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660