You guys use high mileage engine oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe I bought has a tiny bit of the GM knock sometimes when I start it up cold and then it goes away pretty fast. It didn't knock at all the day I bought it. (go figure)

Should I be running high mileage oil in it since it has 105,000 on it? i've always just used valvoline 5w30 in my stuff.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought my 04 with 105,000 on it..and i run valvoline synpower 5w-30... i dont know if it had synthetic from the previous owners or not..but it didn't leak or burn anything off so i put in full synthetic. But if you want high mileage oil it won't hurt anything. It just has different stuff in the aditive package... meaning they add stuff to help swell seals back to original (therefore helping to stop leaks) and also has more cleaning agents to help keep lifters and rings moving freely.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
The Tahoe I bought has a tiny bit of the GM knock sometimes when I start it up cold and then it goes away pretty fast. It didn't knock at all the day I bought it. (go figure)

Should I be running high mileage oil in it since it has 105,000 on it? i've always just used valvoline 5w30 in my stuff.

Replace all lubricants with Royal Purple.....Tranny, Crank Case, Differential......you'll be real glad you did

WickedGoat

Reaction score

Sounds like typical GM piston slap. You can use the high mileage oil in it and it won't hurt anything.

3blackchevys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use a high mileage oil in our 89 Jeep. 140,000 + miles, 1 owner being my dad. started using Valvoline high mileage, then Castrol and has been using Mobil high mileage for a few years now

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw on another board that someone used high mileage M1 and it cured all of his engine clicks and clacks that many folks have.

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used Castrol GTX High Mileage with no complaints.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
5w30 royal purple at 100k and compression is stock or down only one point on all cylinders. Purple in the diffs, gm fluids in the trans and tcase.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the high mileage valvoline, but I have 281782 miles right now as i look at my dash ;).

105k miles aint shit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700