yoke removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonykring

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need to remove the yoke on the axle. My ex wife loaned out her truck and the moron she loaned it to was beating it when the u-joint broke. If i just had to replace the joint it wouldn't be so bad. the real problem is the broken off bolt in the rear yoke. any suggestions or advice on removing this yoke would be appreciated. If i cant drill it out I'll have to buy the part from rockauto. Thanks in advance! 96 hoe. 310,000 miles 350 4WD.

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:hitit:Glad to see another 96 Hoe with 300K+ miles. If you can get enough of the old U joint out of the way just impact gun the nut off and the yoke will/should just slide out of there. i usually use a 24" pipe wrench to hold yoke from spinning while removing. If you don't have impact gun use a 1/2" breaker bar and a piece of pipe to break the nut loose. If you can measure the amount of preload on teh yoke before pulling it os you don't end up crushing the spacer anymore than necessary and go to as close to original preload as you can. Other wise you'll be pulling it apart to install a new crush spacer on the pinion. other wise :hitit:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tonykring

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I don't need a puller to get that off? My Bridgeport is tied up for a few days so she will be buying a new one. And the ujoint is broken off clean and there is nothing in the way of getting at the yoke. It appears the new one comes with a new seal and some other hardware I can also get a new bolt and collar kit for $4. So that problem is solved.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a puller, normally you pound out the pinion to separate them, if you aren't doing that then you need something ... honestly man at this point w 300K I would just bite the bullet and redo the rear gears and bearings. If you do replace just the yoke you run the risk of over crushing that sleeve and ruining the contact pattern.

OP
OP
T

tonykring

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have the skill set for all that. Plus the repair is for my ex-wife. I don't want to fix her truck once a week for the whole winter. Between the alternator the battery the power steering leak, its only january. but thank you though. If it was mine still i might do all that but then again it only broke because her moron friend was beating on it. my theory is he was doing burnouts from ice to pavement. Not to mention my lincoln needs work right now! so i don't have the time to do all that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali