Yet another crank no start...strange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

res02p35

Reaction score
I have 99 Tahoe, won't start.
Was running last week now it just turns over but won't start.
Put on a new dist cap and rotor. New Crankshaft sensor.
When I turn the key on the relay click and it sounds like it is presureizing the system.
No security light on. Code reader will not connect to the Computer.
All fuses have been checked.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fundamentals:

Have spark? Check multiple wires...if none, check at the coil.

Have fuel pressure? What is the fuel pressure with key on, engine off? Does it hold the pressure for about 10 minutes?

OP
OP
R

res02p35

Reaction score
Just checked for spark...yes
I dont have a fuel pressure gauge to check, however when I press the sharder valve it output fuel. I release the valve and it pressurize again.
Fundamentals:

Have spark? Check multiple wires...if none, check at the coil.

Have fuel pressure? What is the fuel pressure with key on, engine off? Does it hold the pressure for about 10 minutes?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would start at the battery and grounds, you could have spark but not a good ground.
or also check the ICM (ignition control module) that one is a classic problem, if that is bad everything else will be fine but it won't run and they tend to die out of the blue

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you won't have spark if the ICM was bad.

Get yourself a cheap fuel pressure gauge. I'm shocked how many DIYers try to fix their vehicles with these symptoms without one! Having fuel squirt out of the Schrader valve is not a substitute.

I hate being a parts changer. Only time I'll do it is if I have another vehicle with the same engine, I'll swap something like a sensor since it's a known good and it doesn't costs me anything.

OP
OP
R

res02p35

Reaction score
It's either I throw 25 at it or pay 45 for a gauge.
Pretty sure the pump is working as stated I drove it last week and wasn't an issue. Next I buy a gauge

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying parts is a BAD idea, many new parts are junk.
Code reader won't connect? You need a scan tool, cheaper than buying junk parts. Pressing on the schrader valve is good if you want gas on your finger, tells you nothing except what gas smells like, you need a fuel pressure gauge. Harbor Freight is your friend, instead of buying Chinese part buy some Chinese tools and diagnose what's wrong.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A fuel pressure gauge can be obtained through the loaner tool program at many auto parts stores. Essentially you pay for it with a credit card, use it for the alloted time, and return it for full credit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900