YAY! My SS brake lines arrived Today! What fluid should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that our Old guy Mech will have to flush all of the brake fluid when he installes the new brake lines.

What type/brand of fluid should I replace it with? Just off the shelf stuff or is there something better? Is there any performance/keeps moisture out/resists heat buildup fluid that is specific to our trucks that I should be using?

picture.jpg
picture.jpg

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a type of fluid with a very high dry/wet boiling point, although the focus would be on the wet boiling point for a vehicle intended for daily driving. All polyalkylene glycol ether based fluids (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1) will naturally absorb moisture, even from the air, but because of their chemical make-up, will mix well with water, still perform well, and resist compression. A silicone based fluid (DOT 5) will not mix with water at all. Even though a typical silicone based fluid will have a high dry/wet boiling point, the inability to mix with water will allow compressible weak spots if moisture were to get into the system creating the typical spongy brake pedal feel. The moisture itself will then boil away and this process will create air in the system.

Sorry for the long rant. Anyways, if I recommend something, I at least like to give an idea of why. Try ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid Dot 4. I've used it myself with really good results. If you have SS brake lines, plus nice pads and rotors, you should notice a big improvement in the feel and performance of your brakes. Good Luck.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Well that sucks, they changed their packaging. I didn't get any Russell stickers =(

But I'd just go with any DOT4 out there.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I tried to find the ATE BLue stuff, but PartsSource or Maslack Supply doesn't carry it. I'll have to go look online and order it, but I hate to pay shipping so DOT 4 fluid it may be.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying 4 liters of this stuff. It showed up this morning. Landed it cost me $116. The guys in our shop are laughing at me so hard right now.... sigh...

I'm getting excited about my truck finally stopping good!

BTW, this vender was really good.