WTF Yukon, drive straight!!! Road Wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rd05lly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you adjusted the steering gear box a 1/8 of a turn at a time and couldnt get it where you like it?

Maybe check the plastic bearing at base of steering column.

OP
OP
H

Hayden's Truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to back the adjustment screw all the way out then give it a full turn in to start back at zero and start adjusting again. I can grab the intermediate shaft a give it a little love and hear a clunk, what appears to be, inside the cabin. I looked around off and on over the weeks and have not found much for the lower bearing except for the Dorman. Amazon reviews say its $hit. I've got the wrench adapters coming so I can pull the gear box out and check the internal torques on the gear to make sure they are in spec according to the service manuals, i also have a power steering pressure tester that is identical to the ones the dealership uses for diagnostic so Im going to rule those out per the service manuals specs. Gotta love ebay.

Rd05lly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can put hose clamp on plastic bearing.
You can take intermediate shaft apart put grease or RTV and stop the rattle. Be sure to hold steering wheel from turning so you don't damage clocking spring

tenntahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know it's been a few months but did you figure out the cause of your wandering? My tahoe is doing the same type thing.

papito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a slight wander as well... I replaced pitman and idle arm and bracket, sway bar links... going to do the inner and outer tie rods today.. im running on stock 17 rims for right now.. hope that fixes it... ive checked everything and don't see any play any where else.. I hope you find the problem.. it will help me as well

OP
OP
H

Hayden's Truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, haven't been on the forum in a while. So after everything I replaced, it was something that I had no control over. I had cluster issues and was talking to a gentleman here in southern CA about the issue when he was taking a look at the cluster, he had a similar problem on his car and found that it was the thread pattern on his new tires did not do well with the highways out here. I mulled it over and then drove the yukon from Cali to Missouri and back. Sure enough as soon as I hit good new pavement in Arizona I could take my finger off the steering wheel and the truck would drive itself. The highways out here are concrete and have grooves cut in them that run parallel with the traffic that are spaced about an 1" or 2" apart. I guess these particular tires on this truck, with crappy roads in Cali, are fond of getting trapped with that groove and since they go all over so does the truck. It has seemed to have gotten better since putting over 4000 miles on the truck in December for that trip.

Daniella

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, haven't been on the forum in a while. So after everything I replaced, it was something that I had no control over. I had cluster issues and was talking to a gentleman here in southern CA about the issue when he was taking a look at the cluster, he had a similar problem on his car and found that it was the thread pattern on his new tires did not do well with the highways out here. I mulled it over and then drove the yukon from Cali to Missouri and back. Sure enough as soon as I hit good new pavement in Arizona I could take my finger off the steering wheel and the truck would drive itself. The highways out here are concrete and have grooves cut in them that run parallel with the traffic that are spaced about an 1" or 2" apart. I guess these particular tires on this truck, with crappy roads in Cali, are fond of getting trapped with that groove and since they go all over so does the truck. It has seemed to have gotten better since putting over 4000 miles on the truck in December for that trip.

Yes, its the road ruts. the term is called "tramlining". i have a 305/40/R22 tire with a 10 offset rim. she doesnt follow the road rut patterns so it feels like she wanders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk