Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Secureolive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WHAT DO I DO?
97 gmc yukon slt, 5.7, 4x4
Bought this truck and the person said the tranny has just been rebuilt and it went downhill fast. Immediately did the following:
-New tranny
-New torque converter
-New rear driveshaft
-New rear end
-New oil/oil filter
After a week, the hub assembly and driver cv axle blew out so I parked it until I could get all the front end parts. Ok so I start it every couple days to keep the juices flowing. It snows, I don't go out for 4-5 days...battery dead. I charge the battery it fires up. I go out a couple days later, battery dead, I jump it, it starts. Auto Zone test says that battery had an overcharged cell so dud. Finally able to do:
-New hub assemblies
-New cv axles
-New tie rods ends (inner and outer)
-New upper and lower ball joints
-Newer battery, reading good
It ran fine, started right up for a week...ran meh ok like it needed a tune up but good. Last week it just wouldn't start without a jump box. It won't crank sometimes, it won't start. It'll crank sometimes, no start. Dugguduggdudgggdug like the starter is out but it's good. There is a starter bypass that was run when I got the truck, I ran the truck with a new starter with and without the bypass...same thing. Duggudugggduggdugguu. I put the jump box on it and it starts up. I hear the fuel pump engage when I turn the key to on position. I have checked all fuses inside and out and have only found one shit fuse, the heater blower fuse...replaced it and heater blew, and every other one read good. I have tried to hook my scanner up to it but it didn't even recognize the truck. With the above list, I have also sunk myself deeper into my beloved shit box with:
-New Air filter
-New starter
-Newer alternator, reading good
-Ground connections show ample voltage, also looking good and have resone connections that looked like shit
-New iginition control module
-New ignition coil
-New spark plugs
-Newer plug wires
If you've read this far, wow...thanks for taking time out of your life for my Canadian born freak show. I'm at a loss for words ha I'm here for any words of advice because obviously I'm willing to throw parts at this toddler for a truck.

UPDATE:
Battery that was newer, (2018), read low volts (so obvious drain there). I checked the cells, two of them were low. I stuck my acessory battery on it (2018, 650cca, small acessory battery) and that started it. It started up, I said oh shit...hopped in and took a test drive, drove to get gas, didn't start at the gas station, I jump it, it starts, I get home, I turn it off, wait maybe 10 seconds...started right up.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the heater fuse is sort of a clue, when the blower motor resistors go bad it can cause a battery drain, although a fuse may blow random for whatever reason I would check out the blower motor resistor usually they are visibly melted or nasty looking. even if it looks ok, maybe do a battery drain test and see if pulling that fuse makes any difference

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I loved my '97 (RIP).

OP
OP
S

Secureolive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the heater fuse is sort of a clue, when the blower motor resistors go bad it can cause a battery drain, although a fuse may blow random for whatever reason I would check out the blower motor resistor usually they are visibly melted or nasty looking. even if it looks ok, maybe do a battery drain test and see if pulling that fuse makes any difference
I will try this one. Battery drain. Could the battery read good or ample voltage even if I have a drain in power at start?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter