WTF is this noise???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Reaction score
So I went and seafoamed my hoe about a week and a half ago and not 30 minutes after did I notice a "ticking" sound coming from the right rear passenger area of the truck. I have tried to chase it down by have been unsuccessful, any assistance of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

So far this is what I have notices/found:
1) Sounds like a metal ticking noise, kinda like when you're running a quart low on oil. (Checked the oil already and it was full)
2) Speed dependent, usually starts at around 30 mph and increases from there.
3) Temperature dependent, definately noticable while running cold decreases in intensity as the vehicle warms to operational temperature.
4) Sound seems to "travel" at lower speeds seems to sound as if it is originating from the midsection of the truck (between front an second row seats), however as speed increases it seems to move towards the back of the truck.
5) Not dependent on RPM, placed truck in neutral and reved the engine and noted no noise.
6) Took a look under the truck and was not able to find any loose attachments/welds, etc.

The difficulty I am having is that the sound is only at speed so I am unable to get under the truck to determine an origin, so once again any help would be appreciated...if you have any further questions or require any further information please let me know.

Paul

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Check the heat shield around the muffler..... It could be cracked and can cause the ticking or vibration type sound you might be having. Take a good look at the suspension too..... make sure nothing is loose, broken or any bushings are falling apart. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T

thdrill

Reaction score
Guessing a leak, but hoping not

Well finally had a chance to look under the tail end of the truck and so far the muffler looks intact and secured, heat shields and other lines are secured. Went to check to ensure that the spare was secured and noted that the back of the u-joint was dark around the edges. Upon further evaluation there appears to be an oil-type substance leaking out the lower aspects. My hope is that it is nothing...but my guess is that I should get it into a trans shop to have it checked out, any thoughts as to whether or not this could cause the noise that I am hearing before I spend the time (and money) to have a trans shop look at it?

IMAG0014.jpg

OP
OP
T

thdrill

Reaction score
Oh last thing I have noticed is that the truck seems sluggish on the acceleration...specifically from a stopped position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian

Latest posts