Wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you have? im looking to expand my set. i have a 10+ year old craftsman 7 piece SAE and MM set with the ratcheting closed end. Would like to get a set that has a few sizes past 3/4". i bought them at sears but all the stores around me have closed. would like to find something with a lifetime warranty if thats something that still exist.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you have? im looking to expand my set. i have a 10+ year old craftsman 7 piece SAE and MM set with the ratcheting closed end. Would like to get a set that has a few sizes past 3/4". i bought them at sears but all the stores around me have closed. would like to find something with a lifetime warranty if thats something that still exist.
Kind of depends on what your budget and frequency of use is.

I have a set of Gear Wrench ratcheting combination wrenches along with a set of Craftsman traditional combination wrenches in both SAE and Metric. The craftsman sets I picked up at a garage sale for 50¢ each.

You can get a decent set of wrenches at Harbor Freight. Their Pittsburgh line is good for weekend warrior types that don’t rely on them to make them money. I have worked with these and have no complaints. You can step up to the Icon line. I have heard a lot of good things about the Icon line but don’t have any personal experience.

Also, I don’t think you can go wrong with the brands sold by the big box stores. Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowe’s) or Mastercraft (Menards).

OP
OP
Mickey_7106

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, definitely don't want to drop money on snap on wrenches, but i don't mind spending a little more for durability. ive seen gear wrench at home depot. im still trying to figure out their warranty. i remember i could swap out tools at sears with no questions asked. Kobalt had something similar with their measuring tapes but now its 90 days with receipt.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When Craftsman went overseas, I went to Tekton.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Craftsman brand is now sold at Lowes, if you want to stay with that brand.

I originally bought a cheap set of sockets and wrenches in 1970, and I've augmented it several times over the years. The truth is that most of my 1970 wrenches and sockets are still in use.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like @Joseph Garcia noted, you can get Craftsman at Lowes. Also at Ace Hardware, I think.

I got a very nice Craftsman SAE and metric socket set about 18 years ago, and the 1/4" drive ratchet recently stopped, well, ratcheting. I took it in to Lowes and they traded me for a new identical Craftsman ratchet.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @Joseph Garcia noted, you can get Craftsman at Lowes. Also at Ace Hardware, I think.

I got a very nice Craftsman SAE and metric socket set about 18 years ago, and the 1/4" drive ratchet recently stopped, well, ratcheting. I took it in to Lowes and they traded me for a new identical Craftsman ratchet.
I’ve also been pretty impressed with the Kobalt tools at Lowe’s.

My oldest Craftsman tools are nearly 45 years old. I’ve broken 2 pieces, both because of severe misuse. The set has definitely been augmented over the years, and even duplicated, so I have a traveling set as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep