Would the '00-'02 OEM rear sub box fit in '03 Yukon w/ Bose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have all the factory Bose speakers, including the center console "subwoofer". The only thing I've done is replaced the head unit. I was wondering if the factory rear panel subwoofer box from the 00-02 models was a direct fit into the 03+ models, or did they change the layout of that rear panel? My plan was to use a factory box with aftermarket 8" sub and amp since my head unit has a sub out option. I know I could go crazy with custom boxes, but I use my truck as a truck and can't give up any cargo area. Plus I'm really going for the OEM+ look. Thanks.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Right now I have all the factory Bose speakers, including the center console "subwoofer". The only thing I've done is replaced the head unit. I was wondering if the factory rear panel subwoofer box from the 00-02 models was a direct fit into the 03+ models, or did they change the layout of that rear panel? My plan was to use a factory box with aftermarket 8" sub and amp since my head unit has a sub out option. I know I could go crazy with custom boxes, but I use my truck as a truck and can't give up any cargo area. Plus I'm really going for the OEM+ look. Thanks.
I would like to know for sure as well, I assume so since the MTX Thunderform or whatever says it fits all these years. I'd get that but it's too pricey for me.

OP
OP
seven9st surfer

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, and after some more research and finding the part number, an ebay ad for it states it works on 00-06. So my money is on yes. I went ahead and bought it, and if it doesn't work, it's on the seller.

All I would have to do then to make it work would be to cut out that molded speaker grille and put an actual grille in.

EDIT: Thinking about using the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2. I need a 8" shallow mount from what I've read. I also need a place to hide the amp. Anyone have any recommendations on a smallish amp just to drive the single sub? It's only 800w max and about 150 RMS (at 4 ohms, I think?). I'd love to be able to mount it to the actual box if there's room, or as least hide it in that wheel well area out of sight. Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, and after some more research and finding the part number, an ebay ad for it states it works on 00-06. So my money is on yes. I went ahead and bought it, and if it doesn't work, it's on the seller.

All I would have to do then to make it work would be to cut out that molded speaker grille and put an actual grille in.

EDIT: Thinking about using the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2. I need a 8" shallow mount from what I've read. I also need a place to hide the amp. Anyone have any recommendations on a smallish amp just to drive the single sub? It's only 800w max and about 150 RMS (at 4 ohms, I think?). I'd love to be able to mount it to the actual box if there's room, or as least hide it in that wheel well area out of sight. Thanks for any recommendations.
You may be able to stick the amp in the cubby on top of that panel of its small enough, I've seen some guys relocate the factory amp there.

OP
OP
seven9st surfer

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be able to stick the amp in the cubby on top of that panel of its small enough, I've seen some guys relocate the factory amp there.

Yeah, I've seen that, too. I actually use that for storage, though, plus I really want to avoid cutting if I can (apart from the grille part). I'm looking at the Kicker 12CX3001. Power seems to be just about right, and it's only 8-5/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 7-1/8"D, so if I can find a slot in there about 2-1/2", I might be able to make it fit.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you use the oem sub box, there should be enough space to mount a small amp to the side of it. I believe for 03+, you'll have to cut off the bolt that keeps the floor jack in place if you want to use the oem box. the mtx thunderform i think has an indentation that goes over the bolt if i'm not mistaken.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a good idea to mount an amp to a sub box that's constantly vibrating. That tends to be ******* the amp's components and can lead to premature failure. I know MTX does that when you order a Thunderform with the amp included but it's still not the best idea. I used their enclosure but mounted an amp under the 2nd row seat. It's also a good idea to be able to access the controls on the amp. The floor jack can be mounted under the hood where the 2nd battery goes unless you have a second battery.

OP
OP
seven9st surfer

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a good idea to mount an amp to a sub box that's constantly vibrating. That tends to be ******* the amp's components and can lead to premature failure. I know MTX does that when you order a Thunderform with the amp included but it's still not the best idea. I used their enclosure but mounted an amp under the 2nd row seat. It's also a good idea to be able to access the controls on the amp. The floor jack can be mounted under the hood where the 2nd battery goes unless you have a second battery.

Makes sense. I managed to get the box in there today, and I think I have some room between the box and the cubby for a small amp. I found this little guy today, and I think it might be the one.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71776_NVX-MVPA1.html

And you were right about the jack, had to cut out the bolt. That thing was SOLID btw, took about 5 minutes with my oscillating cutter. And I actually managed to fit the jack under one of the 2nd row seats, out of sight. Now I just need to buy the speaker and amp, and wire everything up!

EDIT: I actually misspoke about the jack. It was the spare tire tool bag that bolted there, the jack was underneath, on the floor, and I didn't have to move it. Where did the 00-02 have the spare tire tool bag mounted?

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my '02 the tool kit was supposed to go under the driver's side 2nd row seat. That was where I mounted my amp for my sub so It's under the passenger side now.

OP
OP
seven9st surfer

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '02 the tool kit was supposed to go under the driver's side 2nd row seat. That was where I mounted my amp for my sub so It's under the passenger side now.

Funny, I actually ended up putting under the driver's side second row before I read that. And I bought the KAC-M3001, which is small enough that I'm planning on mounting it somewhere in the center console under the cup holder area. That way I'll still have easy access to the controls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz