Hawk hps 5.0 inbound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hawk lts pads on the truck now. And they are dusty… super super dusty. Oh well.

They aren’t bad but they are not amazing. And it’s time already for new pads. We go through brake pads here fast.

So it was between the hps and hps 5.0… so I decided to take the bigger jump away from the lts and go with the 5.0

People say the hawks are loud. I PAINT the backing plates with anti squeal and never have a sound from hawks on any of the vehicles that run them. So the squeal isn’t from the friction side, it must be from the back plate harmonics.

Anyways, when this set gets here, it’s time for a flush (fluid is black) and stainless lines from crown.
43k miles on the truck. These will be the 4th set of pads on the truck. The oem set were swapped out early. The second set were so bad I pulled them off. Then the lts and soon the hps 5.0
The lts are about 20% left on the fronts, I can’t remember on the rears.

I wanted the try the porterfield r4-s but couldn’t guarantee the pad shape was correct.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10k miles on brakes? This a Uber in town vehicle? Wow.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it’s crazy. (I think I remember the odometer being like 29-31k when we put the lts pads on. Because we were debating selling the vehicle and getting the new body so a 2021?)

I mean, the vehicle only has like 44k on it. It ferries the kids to school and games etc.
So a lot of short drives at 30 mph.

3 speed bumps, 3 stop signs and 3 speed bumps to the school and back.

And a couple free way rides a week. But man. It destroys brakes.

My wife also drives like a bat out of hell when she drives. A lot of late braking “oh I didn’t see that”

Lolz.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife said it was 6k miles. But I’m going to say 10k.

I got the pads in finally and a day to swap them and flush the brake fluid.
Calipers, springs, pistons, slider pins… etc are all in good shape.

Those LTS pads must have been faulty.

The fronts had about 2mm pad material left, rears had about 9mm which was about right for the mileage.

New pads in and they feel soooo much better.

So nice pedal feel. These HPS 5.0’s don’t have the cold pad feel that the HPS have. So all the positives but not the negatives so far.

I’ll give another update in a month.

But to reiterate, I think I had a bad set of LtS pads.

Pics of the lts pads when removed:

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3026.jpeg