Woot, another problem.. Grinding on decel..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sp1nn3y

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went on a pretty far trip yesterday and on my way home i heard a very feint grinding noise.. after pulling over and checking around i saw nothing out of the ordinary.. i got back on the highway with no noise.. as soon as i pull up to some traffic i hear that grinding noise again, this time louder.. it seems to only be happening on deceleration.. i got off the highway and hit the gas station, at this point it's not making the noise so i hop back on the highway and skit home.. [i figured if it's on decel, if i take back roads the noise will continue so i kept it at a clean speed the whole way home].. Any ideas on where to look first?

:help:

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Also i'd like to add when it's not grinding i have a very very feint whining.. Drive shaft? I got under the truck and played around a little and so far haven't seen anything out of the ordinary..

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious about your ring and pinion. Also curious about your pinion bearing.

Might have loose pinion causing griding on coast. Could be observed in DS slop or on coast side of gear if you pull diff cover.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it go away when you press on the brakes?

OP
OP
Sp1nn3y

Sp1nn3y

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna pull the cover sometime this week,

It doesn't make a difference when hitting the breaks, slowing down all together it is either whining at low rpm or grinding at higher rpm..

350GT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 4 speed auto and i used to get this when i shifted into first and took it up to speed and deceled while still in first, horrible grinding. I'd be curious to know if you're hitting high revs while slowing down and possibly abusing the trans?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ring and pinion set

Or carrier bearings.

sometimes both.

Could have had the pinion bearing fail, in turn changing the pinion depth and causing the whine.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Ring gear teeth have a drive and a coast side

3upadudu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove