Wiring second alternator isolated from 12v system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riordan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 09 Yukon that I'm about to be putting a 16 volt bank. I've already received my bank and alternator. I'm looking for a way to have my second alternator go to my lithium bank apart from the 12volt system. I'm wanting to put a relay in at the alternator I just need a diagram or something of that sort

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t know why a relay would be needed, you cannot share ANYTHING between the wiring of this alternator and the normal 12v system on the truck. I would hope the supplier of the alternator supplies wiring diagrams, regulator, etc.

Lithium systems usually have their own charge controller.

The biggest obstacle I foresee is the alternator will have no connected load when the lithium charge controller cuts charging. Most alternators aren’t happy with that.

In your position I’d be depending on the component suppliers to provide explicit directions. A lithium battery fire could be a real hazard.

OP
OP
Riordan

Riordan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t know why a relay would be needed, you cannot share ANYTHING between the wiring of this alternator and the normal 12v system on the truck. I would hope the supplier of the alternator supplies wiring diagrams, regulator, etc.

The biggest obstacle I foresee is the alternator will have no connected load when the lithium charge controller cuts charging. Most alternators aren’t happy with that.

In your position I’d be depending on the component suppliers to provide explicit directions. A lithium battery fire could be a real hazard.
It's a brand x 370 amp it has the two pin factory harness plug.

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Absolutely none of this is true. My two secondary 16v alts are triggered from the trucks stock 12v system and have been that way for 4 years now. They only need some sort of trigger to tell the internal regulators when to turn on. The field wire is what determines the charge voltage, not the sense wire

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a brand x 370 amp it has the two pin factory harness plug.

That plug won’t work when trying to use it as a secondary alt. You should have mentioned that to them when you ordered it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons