Wiring for Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cops???? Hell..... Back in the early '70's, the local Cops wanted to drag race me to see if their new Dodge Monaco cop cars were fast enough...... obviously, I would sand bag my GTO.

The truth !! ( It's beyond statue of limitations, so the town was San Anselmo, Marin County, Ca )

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NM I just got a 2mm pitch breakaway header. It was a 4mm pitch header, I can clip every other pin and get what I need. I also bought 4pin automotive waterproof connectors so I can run a line right out to the bumper and connect any camera there. My next problem is,

Anybody know much about the factory ambient temperature sensor? I pulled apart my bumper but cannot find the sensor... The factory service manual shows this... I'm assuming it's a thermister? The new mirror came with a new one but I'd prefer to just use the factory wiring and sensor...

The factory mirror still registers correct ambient temperature, despite I cannot find the temperature sensor. Does it work without a sensor on the bumper?

@cmatt may have the items to connect your harness.

SouthernDuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did my back up camera using my purposefully not stock radio. The Video cable on mine has a signal wire that communicates with the head unit when it’s in reverse so it automatically swaps over. I tapped in to the tow harness as the signal wire to turn on the camera. It’s easy to get to and right behind the license plate. As far as how you want to get your wires across your vehicle, I don’t know that I would run across the top. Not sure how the end result would look when the headliner is back in. I went under the carpet and in by the subwoofer then pulled it forward under all the door trim. From there it’s easy to go up the A pillar and tuck the wires up into the headliner by the windshield. That’s how I ran the line from my head unit to my hands free mic.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my back up camera using my purposefully not stock radio. The Video cable on mine has a signal wire that communicates with the head unit when it’s in reverse so it automatically swaps over. I tapped in to the tow harness as the signal wire to turn on the camera. It’s easy to get to and right behind the license plate. As far as how you want to get your wires across your vehicle, I don’t know that I would run across the top. Not sure how the end result would look when the headliner is back in. I went under the carpet and in by the subwoofer then pulled it forward under all the door trim. From there it’s easy to go up the A pillar and tuck the wires up into the headliner by the windshield. That’s how I ran the line from my head unit to my hands free mic.
I ended up running with harness that goes from a pillar on passenger side all the way back to the d pillar :) now i just have to find a 3 pin connector that fits theough the rear pillar vent so I can fish the cable down to the license plate. otherwise I can drill a jole just above the license plate in the floor. there are several holes there already but used to secure trim peice. not sure which i will do just yet. probably the vent.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up running with harness that goes from a pillar on passenger side all the way back to the d pillar :) now i just have to find a 3 pin connector that fits theough the rear pillar vent so I can fish the cable down to the license plate. otherwise I can drill a jole just above the license plate in the floor. there are several holes there already but used to secure trim peice. not sure which i will do just yet. probably the vent.

I just ran my cable between the gap in the rear hatch rubber seal, it’s right above the license plate. No hole needed.

Reaction score

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which wire on the tow harness did you use for power?
I didn't use that as my monitor is in the rear view mirror. I used the harness that goes to the review mirror. for some reason it had backup lamp power circuit in it. i lucked out :)

you can take you backup bulb out and do a continuity test to various pins in the trailor connector. prob easiest way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy

Latest posts