Wiring component speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96two-door

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need a little help. I'm planning on installing a set of Infinity 6.5" components in the front doors this weekend, but I've never dealt with components or the little crossover that comes with it. The woofer looks easy enough only one way to wire it but the tweeter has either a 0db or a -3db way of wiring. Anyone have any input on this.
If it helps they are Infinity 6020cs 6.5" speakers.

Thanks everyone!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a flat out guess but i would assume if its pointing right at your face, you can run it -3db so its not so loud and balances better.

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
if your amping em run -3 on the tweets so they dont burn up..

we always just run -3. they sound better.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on placement of the tweeters. Before you put everything back together, close your doors, sit in the driver's seat and listen to it for a minute at various volume levels. Then switch the filter to the opposite setting and listen to it again. Keep it at the setting which sounds best to you. In general, if the tweeters are placed low in the kicks or doors, you can set them at 0db. If they are placed higher in the doors or the a-pillar, set the x-over to -3db to keep it from sounding too bright.

OP
OP

96two-door

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks JK, I'm gonna be putting the tweeters in the stock location so I guess I'm going to be playing with it since its not high or low it is in between. thanks everyone for the info, now I just need to find the time to do the work.

cichlid_baby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 97 tahoe, and I am currently working on installing a set of speakers up front as well. What I have found is that more than likely you will need to build a mounting plate or baffle for your 6.5 driver as the mounting depth for most aftermarket speakers will be too deep for the glass window to clear when fully down. Also, the stock tweeter mount has a wierd slide and snap into place assembly which will interfere with most aftermarket applications. You will have better luck with mounting the tweeter from underneath the stock mounting plate. What I had to do was use hot glue to get them to stay put. As far as placement on the cross-overs, there will be plenty of open space underneath the door panel to tuck them in. Just find a level surface and mount them. If you are going to be using screws into the door sheet metal, then be very careful and make sure you don't drill into any of the window mechanics.

Good Luck !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper