Wiper Motor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lugnut428

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

New to the board -- been lurking for a little while now though.

I have a 1999 Tahoe and I was wondering how difficult a job it is to replace the wiper motor? I've been looking around and it doesn't seem too hard, but I figured someone here has probably done it before and might be able to tell me if it's easy..hard...etc.

Thanks!

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure you need a motor? When mine ('97) crapped out, all it needed was a pulse module. IIRC, it was about $20 from Autozone and in stock.

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
motors easy to replace. 3 bolts iirc, and you take off the little plastic crap where they sit, and theres a nut in there to remove. took about 15 minutes.
it is most likely the pulse module, but i know mine wasnt. plus it was only about 5 bucks at the junk yard.

OP
OP
lugnut428

lugnut428

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks fellas -- basically the wipers work 90% of the time...but every once in a while when I try to turn them on...nothing happens...but they always come back wthin about 30 seconds of playing with the switch. Twice they've crapped out while my wife was driving in the rain...again they came back pretty quick, but I don't want to worry about her with the baby in the truck w/o wipers....

Is there an easy way to tell if it's the pulse module rather than the whole motor?

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to do a differential diagnosis on it, but what you're describing sounds familiar. Mine didn't stop working all at once. They were flakey. We don't get a lot of rain here, and I let them go a while. I remember thinking I better get this fixed or with my luck they're going to quit the next time it rains!

Last edited:

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
mine are still messed up. they like to make a lot of noise. but they would slowly quit when they wanted, and then just quit all together. they'd work if i hit the motor tho.

btw, supposedly theres a recall on it. so you could check the dealer and see if your dealer will honor it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V2Tahoe