Wiper Defroster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

like2detail

Reaction score
Am I crazy or did GM remove the wiper de-icer grid from the 2021??? I'm pretty sure my 19 had it. Just had my 21 Denali XL out in the snow for the first time and the wipers froze. The front defroster heats the glass above the wipers so the blades froze to the glass and wouldn't move. Was running the rear defroster the whole time, couldn't find anything in the menus on the head unit. :(

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not something that I’ve seen on my ‘21 but would be a wonderful option to have. I ran into the same problem with the recent snow.

Cliff-Yukon

Reaction score
The new design has the wipers lower tucked down below the level of forward defrost from what I can see….

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiper setup on these new ones is very disappointing in the snow. Nothing but iced up wipers that smear water and ice instead of clearing the windshield

OP
OP
like2detail

like2detail

Reaction score
Well at least it's not just me. I only went about 10 miles yesterday and it was horrible. Couldn't see a thing and blades eventually froze to the windshield and wouldn't move. My 19 didn't do that.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the worst case of iced wipers I've ever experienced. Could be a real problem if you live where there's lots of snow or like to go skiing

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using low temp washer fluid? Or just the default that's in the tank from GM? If just the standard stuff, then if it's that bad maybe siphon out as much of the generic stuff and try a low-temp gallon from AutoZone (my preference is RainX Zero Degree and a hearty blade).

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had an issue. Pretty much the same as any other vehicle. Make sure defrost is on.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned the ol' put the wipers up when snowing hack when living in Colorado. never saw it when i grew up in Iowa. You essentially pull them up like you're going to change them out. Leave them up while parked. Now when you come back with snow all over, clear out with your prefered snow removal scraper tool and boom you have clean windshield and clean wipers to start.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned the ol' put the wipers up when snowing hack when living in Colorado. never saw it when i grew up in Iowa. You essentially pull them up like you're going to change them out. Leave them up while parked. Now when you come back with snow all over, clear out with your prefered snow removal scraper tool and boom you have clean windshield and clean wipers to start.
Mine iced up after leaving my garage. Perfectly clear and dry window. It was about zero degrees with wind and the snow blowing sideways and the bottom section of windshield started forming ice after a few minutes. Defrost setting only, not blowing out of any other vents. Temp set to 85 and blower on 3 or 4 clicks, the skin about to melt off my face. Nothing I could do but look through the ice and smear. Good news is it snows around here about twice a year for a day or 2 at the most, except this year we had more snow than normal