Windshield Washer Fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon Denali, just over the weekend I had the low washer fluid warning on the dash. Filled it up, the next day upon starting the warning was on the dash and again the reservoir was empty. I removed the front wheel well liner and looked around the reservoir. All the piping looked ok and when I filled it again, I couldn't find the leak. It must be a slow leak... Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been able to locate the issue. Taking it to the dealer this week, but it is a hassle. Would appreciate any insights.

d_hawk

Reaction score
I had a similar issue last week, it ended up being a barb fitting had come loose from the rubber supply hose. The location was the top of the passenger rear frame rail near the spare tire. My leak was obvious once I refilled the washer fluid tank.

Attachments

• 893DECD4-B0D6-4321-92E1-157AB0A9C8F5.jpeg
    893DECD4-B0D6-4321-92E1-157AB0A9C8F5.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 81

2021z71_SShipp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon Denali, just over the weekend I had the low washer fluid warning on the dash. Filled it up, the next day upon starting the warning was on the dash and again the reservoir was empty. I removed the front wheel well liner and looked around the reservoir. All the piping looked ok and when I filled it again, I couldn't find the leak. It must be a slow leak... Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been able to locate the issue. Taking it to the dealer this week, but it is a hassle. Would appreciate any insights.
I have the exact same issue with my 21 z71 Tahoe. I’ve filled it up 50+ times since I’ve owned it, leaks out in 1-2 days. Taken to dealership twice with no resolution. I can’t upload the video but looked to be coming from here once while I noticed fluid dripping underneath. I added a screenshot from a Facebook page where someone ripped out their carpet in the rear and found the leak. I haven’t done that yet, but seems it could be something worth checking. Will be taking mine back in as well, just filled it up 2 days ago and it was empty again yesterday.

Attachments

• CFEF7649-F7CD-4EA4-941D-9AF6E33D22CE.jpeg
    CFEF7649-F7CD-4EA4-941D-9AF6E33D22CE.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 9DDF8E99-AEDB-4BB7-8FA3-F48059DDD773.jpeg
    9DDF8E99-AEDB-4BB7-8FA3-F48059DDD773.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 1FD81E20-5F22-49B8-92C7-3C0244208EF8.png
    1FD81E20-5F22-49B8-92C7-3C0244208EF8.png
    864.6 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
S

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on this, took the truck to the dealer and they kept it for two days. They were not able to replicate the error. and the WW Fluid reservoir kept full Despite numerous calls and asking them to literally check everything and trace the lines. I was running really late to pick up the truck and squeezed in minutes before close. It was snowing pretty good at time of pickup. Remote started the car from inside the shop as I completed the paperwork. When I first sat inside the truck, the first error message on the dash was "washer fluid low". Needless to say i was frustrated in this, I walked back to the shop to find the doors locked as they had closed. I walked over to the sales side and asked for a sales manager to come out just so I can "prove" I am not crazy and the truck had no WW fluid. The sales guy apologized and filled the tank for me and indeed confirmed the no fluid level. With the truck still running the front wipers ere intermittently coming on as it was snowing. I turned on the rear wiper and activated the rear wash, it all looked good. The sales guy asked to photocopy the sales receipt so he could pass it along to the service department the next day with some notes. While he was inside I walked around the truck, the colour of the WW fluid he had just put in was bright pink, while standing behind the car I saw a small pink puddle start to appear in the snow just underneath. When the sales guy came back out I showed it to him and there was a constant stream of liquid pouring out from underneath. I was able to take video as well as a few shots. Back to the dealer again, @d_hawk was absolutely correct and this is where the leak is originating.

Attachments

• Denali.jpg
    Denali.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 42

d_hawk

Reaction score
Update on this, took the truck to the dealer and they kept it for two days. They were not able to replicate the error. and the WW Fluid reservoir kept full Despite numerous calls and asking them to literally check everything and trace the lines. I was running really late to pick up the truck and squeezed in minutes before close. It was snowing pretty good at time of pickup. Remote started the car from inside the shop as I completed the paperwork. When I first sat inside the truck, the first error message on the dash was "washer fluid low". Needless to say i was frustrated in this, I walked back to the shop to find the doors locked as they had closed. I walked over to the sales side and asked for a sales manager to come out just so I can "prove" I am not crazy and the truck had no WW fluid. The sales guy apologized and filled the tank for me and indeed confirmed the no fluid level. With the truck still running the front wipers ere intermittently coming on as it was snowing. I turned on the rear wiper and activated the rear wash, it all looked good. The sales guy asked to photocopy the sales receipt so he could pass it along to the service department the next day with some notes. While he was inside I walked around the truck, the colour of the WW fluid he had just put in was bright pink, while standing behind the car I saw a small pink puddle start to appear in the snow just underneath. When the sales guy came back out I showed it to him and there was a constant stream of liquid pouring out from underneath. I was able to take video as well as a few shots. Back to the dealer again, @d_hawk was absolutely correct and this is where the leak is originating.
Glad you were able to figure out the leak. It is easy enough to push the barb fitting and rubber supply hose back together. I saw no evidence of a spit hose or other damage, it seemed like it was not connected correctly from the factory. FYI, I could not fit my hands in to reconnect the fitting without dropping my spare tire down to make some hand room. Literally took longer to get the spare tire tools out and crank down the spare than to fix the leak.

OP
OP
S

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Crawled under the truck this morning and was able to make the fix. As you said @d_hawk fairly straight forward. For anyone else with this same issue, i have uploaded a couple of photos. Best way to access is just above the frame of the passenger side rear quarter. I was lucky to be able to do this without dropping the rear tire. The one photo is of the frame, the rest are the two lines essentially lying next to each other.

Attachments

• IMG_5463.jpg
    IMG_5463.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5465.jpg
    IMG_5465.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5468.jpg
    IMG_5468.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5470.jpg
    IMG_5470.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 89

AZ71TAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Crawled under the truck this morning and was able to make the fix. As you said @d_hawk fairly straight forward. For anyone else with this same issue, i have uploaded a couple of photos. Best way to access is just above the frame of the passenger side rear quarter. I was lucky to be able to do this without dropping the rear tire. The one photo is of the frame, the rest are the two lines essentially lying next to each other.

I have a 2021 z71 also, had my 30,000 mile service done Friday, drove up to Utah that night. Washer Fluid light was on Saturday morning. Filled the reservoir and 5 hours later light came back on again. I haven’t seen any leak but after reading this post I’m hopeful I’ll be able to skip a trip to the dealership. I’ll let you know tomorrow. Thanks for the pictures!

KGC1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Z71 Tahoe with 37,500 miles. No issues until the rear window washer did not spray fluid. I determined the washer fluid reservoir was empty. I refilled it. Later went on a drive and used the rear and front washers with wipers. Worked normal. As I got home I got the alarm that the washer reservoir was empty. Verified it was empty; I knew something was wrong. I then filled it with water and both sprayers worked fine, but washed fluid level continued to drop after the sprayers shut off. No visible leaks anywhere under the car. After reading this blog, I then started searching inside the cab. Emptied and removed my cargo container and found 1/2"-3/4" of wiper fluid and water in the entire back section. Also carpet under the third row seat was wet. I dried everything out, parked it in my driveway on a slight incline toward the back, and then filled the reservoir about half full with water and started the rear sprayer again. Worked fine. After I stopped spraying, the reservoir continued to drain and the back area under the cargo container began to fill with water from the drivers side trim panels. Water also began to drip from some weep holes under the chassis when the level got high enough. I could not find any visible leak points inside the vehicle. Obvious that the low level separation resulted in a siphon effect and emptied the reservoir each time the rear pump was started; probably some of the accumulation drained out of the weep holes when I was driving earlier. Made an appointment with dealer service. They repaired it with the following written comments: "Hose separated in 2 places, 1 above headliner and 1 at lower connections near bottom right of vehicle behind trim panels. R&R trim panels, lowered headliner, repaired both hose connections and also added tie straps to keep hoses from separating. Reinstalled all trim panels, headliner and trim pieces." Cost before coupons was $318, since I was past warrantee by 1,500 miles. They acted like they had not seen this before but already had a fix. HORRIBLE DESIGN BY GM!!! should have been a continuous tubing run without unreliable fittings, at least inside the headliner and trim panels. Fortunate to have caught it before headliner and other components were damaged. Ran air conditioner to help dehumidify dry the system parts I cannot see. Be aware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14